This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

hydrocotyle verticillata with single t5ho

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by feh, Sep 30, 2011.

1. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:45 AM
    Single 54 watt t5ho - Would i be wasting my time with trying hydrocotyle verticillata again? Of course I have CO2 running on the tank now so I'm wondering about it. The last bit was doing well until I moved it... then the stems rotted. I wasn't using CO2 then. I did like how it looked in front of the xmas moss, but wondering if the co2 and light I have will work out and it stay short. I've read it stays nice and short under good lighting...

2. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How far is the light from the substrate?

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Check Your Yard

Hi,

First are you sure it is Hydrocotyle verticillata (often called Whorled Pennywort or Shield Pennywort)? :confused:

Hydrocotyle verticillata is a very common plant in the southern US http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HYVE2, I collected my own. Living in Georgia I would assume the stuff is in your yard or the park down the street.:)

Just found a nice article http://bhushandalvi.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/hydrocotyle-verticillata/. :)

I have not seen it much traded in the hobby. I just noticed Tropica http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=039 carries it. Tropica notes it does not like being planted, I have found this, treat it as a rhizome plant, tie it down, do not bury it, let the plant root on its own.

Hydrocotyle verticillata grows slowly submerged, the brightness of the light determining how tall it gets (lower light it tends to be taller and leggy).

In my ever-humble-potted-plant-opinion (and experience), H. verticillata “requires” an enriched substrate.

I have it growing in non-CO[SUB]2[/SUB] tanks; technically, I suppose they are somewhat elevated CO[SUB]2[/SUB] tanks, also as floating and transitional swamp plants.:)

Perhaps float the plants for a week or two letting them recover. Better yet plant them in a pot with a rich soil and keep the soil very moist to wet and they will grow like crazy.;)

Unlike other family members, the form of H. verticillata does not change (it still “trails”) when submerged. It is a nice plant.:cool:

Biollante

4. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah, I'm sure thats what it was. I suppose covering the rhizome is what happened. The light fixture is directly on top of the tank... So I am correct in thinking its going to grow tall and leggy in low light. Thanks... The first bit I had was tossed in as a freebie with some other plants I purchased from another hobbyist. I know for sure its verticillata because its a complete circle all the way around with no split. Thanks for the links.

#4 feh, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011
  5. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    If your T5 light is right on top of the aquarium what is that? 15 inches? 20 inches? from substrate...????

Let's say 20 inches - you may have enough light. As even at 20 inches from substrate you probably have med level lighting based on a par reading for a single T5 globe ... at closer to substrate you would be moving into high light areas.

People have done PAR readings for single T5 globes at various heights from substrate and posted the results in charts and diagrams.. which is what I am basing my info on.

#5 Matsyendra, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011
  6. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Its a 75 gallon tank... its hard to get a good spread over it with a single bulb, but yes I'd say around 20 inches or so. I don't have a very deep substrate. Its just pool filter sand which is another factor to look at. I do have a couple of bags of ADA AS but no reason to tear my tank up.

Here's a pic of the tank thats a couple weeks old.

[​IMG]

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Low Maintenance, "Fun" Kind of Plant That Hydrocotyle Verticillata

Hi,

I rather agree with ‘the Lord of the Fishes’:rolleyes: you have plenty of light.:)

I think you will need to enrich your substrate to be reasonably successful with Whorled Pennywort. :gw

Osmocote ice cubes or root tabs at minimum. My advice is to grow the Whorled Pennywort in a container, good potting soil, keep it very moist, plenty of sun, it will grow quickly, grow a quarter or third more than you need for the tank. This way you will start with very healthy, low compact growth, once submerged, growth is quite slow, so it is nice to start with the areas 'filled-in,' with your light, enriched substrate and high nitrates in the water column you will have a very nice low maintenance start. The extra Hydrocotyle verticillata you can continue to grow in containers.:)

Good luck, I think you will have a very nice tank.:cool:

Biollante

#7 Biollante, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  8. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    @ Biollante, Oooh ... a researcher... "Lord of the Fishes". Got it in one. Well done.

_/\_

@ feh - tank looks nice, from the pic it looks as though the light spreads well. Two T5 globes will take you up to about 120 micromols, which is high light indeed.