This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydor Koralia

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by crystalview, Sep 18, 2008.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

I bought a power head today. It does not makes sense to me the way the want it placed.
    I have the output from the canister on the left and the intake on the right. If I mount the powerhead on the right would this stop a good flow going into the intake?
    The out put of the fluval seems low. I have thought to get the smooth hose instead of the standard rippled hose. Your thoughts?

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

The Koralias are designed to be mounted anywhere with the suction cup magnets. The spindle can then be directed as needed.

So, you can place it anywhere. If the fluval flow is low, then place the hydor behind it so to speak so it merges with the canister and enhance the flow in the direction the fluval outlet is going.

Not sure what you mean by rippled hose?

3. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Fluval comes with kind a corrugated hose. I would guess that this slow the water down also. I know it causes build up of gunk that blows out when I restart the filter so I have gotten use to cleaning out the hose each time I do the filter.

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

When I used a Fluval 304 on a 29 gallon tank I found that the flow it produced would gradually decrease as the filter got dirty. So after a couple of weeks I would get a lot less flow than I started with. I had other problems with that filter too, primarily problems priming it, so I got rid of it. Now I use a Rena Filstar XP3 on my now 45 gallon tank, and it works much better, giving a lot more flow rate and the rate doesn't drop of nearly as fast.

I use a Koralia Model 1, which is placed in the back right corner, near the bottom, where it blows along the rear glass. This gives me good circular flow around the tank. The filter output is near the top of the tank, in the same corner as the Koralia, but the filter output is directed slightly upwards, so it ripples the surface. The filter input is at the bottom of the tank, also in the same corner. This results in giving me some top to bottom current to supplement the circular current. My CO2 goes into a very small powerhead located so it blows its output directly into the "cage" around the Koralia rotor. The powerhead rotor has holes melted in it to give a "needlewheel" effect. The result of all of this is that my tank is usually full of very small CO2 bubbles, and the drop checker indicates green pretty fast in the morning, probably as fast as it can react to a change in CO2 concentration.

I don't claim this is the best way to get good circulation and CO2 distribution, but it seems to work well. I should also mention that my aquascape consistes of a big wood "sculpture" in the middle, with plants gathered around it, and the surrounding substrate covered with low growing crypts. Thus, no plant mass to interfere with the circulation.

This may sound good, but I am still struggling with BBA problems.