This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hydor ETH In-Line heaters

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ekrindul, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Ekrindul

Ekrindul Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:53 PM
    Anyone have any experience with the Hydor in-line heater?

I'm interested in getting one for my 55 gallon tank, but would like to hear from others about their quality/reliability. Also, I'm not exactly sure which size I will need. They come in 1/2" and 5/8" sizes. I am using Eheim filters, so my tubing is 12/16mm ID/OD, so I assume I would have to go with the 1/2" size, which unfortunately means I cannot use the 300 watt model. I think the 200 watt model would be fine though.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I have two on my 180 gallon tank. Very accurate and no defects until now. No restriction on flow. The 200 Watt model is more than enough for your 55 gallon.

regards,
    dutchy

3. Ekrindul

Local Time:
    Thanks, Dutchy. Are the different sizes they sale based on the inner diameter of the tubing? I'm assuming it is, but want to be sure since I'll have to order online. No one locally is selling them.

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, It's based on the inner diameter of the filter tubing. So their heater with 1/2 inch connectors is perfect for your 12 mm inner diameter tubing.

regards,
    dutchy

5. Ekrindul

Local Time:
    Thanks for the help.

6. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have a Hydor ETH 300 Watt on a 46 gallon Bowfront and its been the most accurate and consistent heater I've ever had. I got the 300 watt because my basement gets cold in the winter time.

7. Ekrindul

Local Time:
    Good to hear. I ordered a 200 watt today.

8. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've I had the 300 watt Hydro Heater with no problem for years.

9. Oreo

Oreo Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have a 300w on a 110gal. It's been flawless.

Keep in mind that there is a glass tube under the plastic housing, so don't drop it or get too rough with it.

Also, I'd recommend going with the 300w with 5/8" connections for no other reason then allowing room to grow, should you ever have a need for more flow. I was able to get about 7gpm max out of mine. Not sure what the 1/2" is capable of.

10. Ekrindul

Local Time:
    I installed the 200 watt 1/2" Wednesday. I set it to 77 and it's been stable at 77 ever since. So nice not having to look at submersible heaters for a change.

Oreo, good advice. I probably won't have any upgrades in tank size for a while, though. I just upgraded to a 55 and a 20 gallon long set of tanks from a pair of bowfronts. About as much as I can fit into my apartment, unless I start tossing out furniture. Fortunately, they are very affordable heaters. I am really impressed that I'm getting consistent temperature across the entire 48" length of the tank, as I have it attached to the left side canister. Using a submersible, I always had at least 1 degree variance from side to side.

Dutchy, you were absolutely correct on the size. 1/2" worked perfectly with the eheim hose.