This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Humidity, Does it even matter?... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion in 'Emmersed / Wabi Kusa' started by DutchMuch, Aug 28, 2017.

1. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:49 PM
    Pretty much everyone has seen my https://barrreport.com/threads/about-time-someone-made-an-emersed-setup-journal.14350/ Emersed setup journal.

And my plants grow in a greenhouse, with only 20% to 30% humidity, all the time. unless it rains.
    And growth is insane and overtaking on every plant that has rooted, in that greenhouse.
    I have my plants in the little black potting cups, with 5 holes in the bottom of it for drainage. So it doesn't stay super wet, but its not dry. its just moist.
    So my question is, does humidity matter if the plant has adapted to the average levels of humidity in that/an area? I'm sure some plants are more sensitive to humidity than others, but for the most part, I haven't had a problem with low humidity.
    My main cause of making an emersed setup, was to prove Sean W.'s emersed setup totally wrong. He had his plants in clay pots, in a empty tank, half full of water, with eggcrate holding the plants up so they where only halfway or a quarter in the water. He mostly grew AR mini from what I saw, and it grew quite slowly from what he posted, compared to mine. What do you mean by "proving his setup wrong" I mean by that, that I can make a cheaper simpler way of making an emersed setup that only costs around 50$ max rather than 100$ - 200$ at the least. And for the record, it worked! Tada!

but back to my main question... Anyone know? Does Humidity truly matter. (btw, I'm well aware that if there is 0 humidity, you might not be to successful... lets not go crazy!)

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Pic of one of my Hydro propagations in one of those cups I explained.
    [​IMG]

3. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:49 PM
    If you are growing emersed plants for the sake of growing them emersed than humidity is not an issue.

If you are growing emersed plants to eventually transfer them to a submersed enviroment than humidity becomes very important. The higher the humidity the easier it is for the plants to transition, this all has to do with the cuticle layer and how thick it becomes. The cuticle layer of a plant’s leaf is what regulates the loss of moisture from the plant to the atmosphere, known as transpiration. The lower the humidity the thicker the cuticle becomes, preventing the plant from losing too much moisture and drying out. The complete opposite is true when plants are grown in higher humidity, the cuticle layer is thinner because moisture lose is not as big an issue. Naturally aquatic plants growing submersed have very thin cuticle layers, obviously the plant is not worried about losing moisture.

So you can see how humidity can play a major role in how easily a plant can transition from emersed to submersed. If the emersed plant is grown in a very humid environment then its likely the plant will experience very little leaf lose/melt during the transition due to having a thin cuticle. Plants grown in a less humid environment will not transition as well and will likely struggle and even lose their leaves before making the transition.

I hope this makes sense.

Albacus J and SingAlongWithTsing like this.
  4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    It made perfect sense,
    Just the answer I was looking for as well lol. I didn't even begin to think of it from the "transition" point of view. Definitely matters I agree then if you want a super smooth transition.

Tags: