Huge Driftwood - New 110g Tall Setup

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Hey Gang,

My wife got a new 125 gallon tall so that means I get her 90 gallon. Exciting!

I have a piece of Malaysian driftwood someone gave to me years ago and I've been wanting to really use it. I couldn't until now because it is pretty big. It is about 33" wide by 11" deep and 20" high.

Here are some pics. I might have taken some of these pictures at an angle.

Side measurement.

XlQ1gCsM5kCpczETP7iztuDkWI2VSV4o1EdYCMeOA0v63tetDqB-JNemGlvML0bHf7hYdDEnfvRP7yr4c=w1258-h1675-no.jpg

Height:

lBHBF0D3MOtd4jmSMjWUtrgnh5NDUMgB3K5XUnIBqzLfUxSuNmm_J2dgAuVdIqH-AjNsZmkWk47L98GHA=w1258-h1675-no.jpg

Depth:

edfnOrHkqmNDgPpTln-ww_SbaYV6GhW6E6wA6OpXCny1juKMadxCtfufHWW_wKrgwblPFvheCaofc0BhI=w1258-h1675-no.jpg

This will be a work in progress because I have to put money aside for the equipment however I am super excited to be working on another project. I am not sure if I will go hi-tech or low-tech yet.

I was hoping for some suggestions from the community.

Thanks for popping by!

Cheers,

J

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Here are some more pics. I believe this should be the front of the driftwood as this side looks the best.

wPXM4s_DroLtMccO1LZK_89f3Tj_VLjh176LHn8ghHvhLfuTNBZhv985WrA9xLETA4iQ4wf4qWxCvWqpQ=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

This is the left side:

eaIrjhDaNJB7_62ctefFehSRCpH8iir0VfEtjL7Eu4_B_Wu8lsC-uLgY9buvsVyncfc-cwRh2fTx96tMM=w1258-h1675-no.jpg

Left side at an angle:

f2Nt4g3ARs2xX7hE6HyAfff4YRlL7G6IN0VbwxiGy3a1e9ZHcOR8LcUnD1yEvRnR06ytJw8FqwWiRd9fQ=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

The back side is quite flat. I will have to use rocks underneath to prop it up like this but it seems quite stable.

nmTcPBvas6_GUMNEKHAVjB37nD0vQpf2ElhVNxkU6RKJlYGGzUGCgXWMYx4QtnCJBk477X6FFHmj6hgdA=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

The driftwood is also quite heavy. I would estimate around 50 lbs.

I am thinking that this piece will sit on the right side of the tank at an angle building a planter in the back right corner with background plants. I am thinking sand will be in the front and all over the left side of the tank, creating a big open area for fish to swim around.

When I pick up some painter's tape, I will draw an outline and play around with it.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

J

Last edited:
Reactions: pedrofisk

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
This piece of driftwood has been sitting in the middle of my living room floor for a few days now.

Personal random musings I've had staring at it:

- I wonder if limnophila sessiflora or vallisneria would work for the back planted area. Maybe something else?
- I think the left side of the driftwood where the two ends meet would be a lovely place for some bolbitis heufelotii. I have never had luck with this fern in my other tank even with high light, CO2, fertilizers, and flow.
- Another idea would be to just cover the whole driftwood with anubias barteri, nana, with lanceolata or similar around the lower parts. I could fill in most of the spaces with moss.....
- I could cover it in java fern too.

Much to think about!

Cheers,

Jro

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Greggz

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006
Beautiful piece of hardscape. Could really help to create depth in the tank.

To add to your ideas, you could consider something draped over it and hanging down. Like HC.

Reactions: Jro

Kyalgae

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2016
Canada
Looks like a nice piece! The only thing I would do is have something growing on it that gets rid of that straight edge at the top, maybe moss. I’m interested to see what you end up creating.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Nice piece. I actually also like the front view, maybe if your aquarium is viewable from 2 sides you can try and work from both angles.

Boblitis might get to big and weedy/hard to control. Here is another suggestion Hygrophila pinnatifida, much easier to control and get great highlights on the wood.

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Nice piece. I actually also like the front view, maybe if your aquarium is viewable from 2 sides you can try and work from both angles.

Boblitis might get to big and weedy/hard to control. Here is another suggestion Hygrophila pinnatifida, much easier to control and get great highlights on the wood.

Great idea, thank you!

Hygrophila pinnatifida looks like an amazing plant. Would I attach it to hardscape like I would with anubias?

J

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
So I've had a change in plans. My wife doesn't want the new tank it is a little tall for her. We thought it was a 125 gallon but I think it is actually a 110 gallon tall. It measures to 48W x 16D x 31H.

So I guess I will be using it instead! I've never done a tall tank before so this will be fun!

Here is a picture:

A4Ya8FU2sFCRacXBxFKEcydDGew8O9m1o8auYWychXbmfLdv5rsr1BicwQt_zJpnQnQo-__KTKQfsA2UE=w1165-h1553-no.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to price out some new lights. 31" is pretty deep.

Thanks for reading. More to come.

J

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Great idea, thank you!

Hygrophila pinnatifida looks like an amazing plant. Would I attach it to hardscape like I would with anubias?

J
Yes or stick it in a hole. H. pinnatifida branches easily and is capable of sending stolon like branches. This results in rapid colonization of the surface. Once a stem gets long trim it leaving just 2 nodes to branch even further. If you want you can get nice carpet like growth with roots hanging... Need to keep up on water ferts though.

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Hi All,

I am very new to forum etiquette. Please excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge. I just had a couple of questions.

1) Would a moderator be able to change the title of this journal from 90 gallon to 110 gallon?

2) May I start this journal on another forum or blog on it? Or is it proprietary content? I would be updating everything at the same time.

Thank you in advance.

J

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006
So I've had a change in plans. My wife doesn't want the new tank it is a little tall for her. We thought it was a 125 gallon but I think it is actually a 110 gallon tall. It measures to 48W x 16D x 31H.

So I guess I will be using it instead! I've never done a tall tank before so this will be fun!

Here is a picture:

View attachment 12314

Looks like I am going to have to price out some new lights. 31" is pretty deep.

Thanks for reading. More to come.

J

That looks fun.

I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to have enough PAR at the substrate to grow plants there without nuking those near the surface.

Are you planning on using the same wood?

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
That looks fun.

I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to have enough PAR at the substrate to grow plants without nuking those near the surface.

Are you planning on using the same wood?
You bet! I will be soaking the wood later today. No turning back now!

Reactions: a1matt

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Hi All,

I am very new to forum etiquette. Please excuse my ignorance if this is common knowledge. I just had a couple of questions.

1) Would a moderator be able to change the title of this journal from 90 gallon to 110 gallon?

2) May I start this journal on another forum or blog on it? Or is it proprietary content? I would be updating everything at the same time.

Thank you in advance.

J

Figured out how to change the title.

J

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
03/03/18

Today I put the driftwood in the tank for the first time. I have been having much difficulty finding a container to soak the driftwood. The largest Rubbermaid chests are slightly too small. Width-wise they are fine at 48", I just can't find one that I can comfortably leave the whole driftwood submersed. So it looks like I will be soaking the driftwood in the tank. It is pretty awkward to move around and I can't imagine how heavy it would be when it is completely soaked. So I am thinking this is probably the best solution.

You'll notice I put some lights on the tank as well. I made an impulse purchase yesterday and forgot to take unboxing pictures. Those are 2 Kessil Tuna Sun A360WE's. It might be a bit overkill but I got them for a pretty good price. I was a little concerned about the 31" depth, now I don't have to. I feel it gives me a little flexibility in the flora I choose for the tank.

Here is a pic.

PWk82ms4lHnW9zcWFbXPpqeQiA8lbJmAehT6QYvAwtU5Tp2E38-cg9CaZthwgNXF2pt4CtDnboam2WuXQ=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

The "Fish Office" is coming around quite nicely :D

yGHNXhcjIq1oMQgvrTKzZ2Ug0HWR5MUskDmhSRKuj14VyM-FnKrsTXoUL0tFAXSLihaz3wVox9KyVI1M8=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

Excuse the mess. It has been a whirlwind of activity in here the last week and a half ;)

Here is a shot from the front:

tmjakQn1cZydJtILVMo21JkoAmt3WdC3PMaV9beMByksV1whvhRZdKOEmqcY9iNc3FgrsmXr-_pFRmyRU=w2235-h1675-no.jpg

I wasn't sure what kind of lights I was going to get and was originally going to put a whole bunch of T5HO's on the tank. Because I went with LED's on impulse, I did not take into account the shadows.There are a bit more shadows from the driftwood than I would have thought. The front right corner of the tank is a little obscured and there might not be plants there unless I get a little creative.

I will soak the driftwood in the next couple of days and will play around with the lights / driftwood to see if I can reduce that shadow..

I also picked up a used Eheim Professional 2 and a used Fluval 406. I am contemplating moving my Fluval FX5 that is on my 55 gallon over to this tank and replacing it with those two.

What color of backgrounds are your favorites? I am thinking about putting black vinyl on the back.

Until next time!

J

Reactions: Greggz

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Enjoying this thread so far.

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Jro

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm watching!

Do you ride? Noticed all the horse pics around the room!
My wife used to manage a horse ranch so she absolutely loves her horses. I have done some riding but allergies get to me.

I had no say in the decor in the house but I do get fish tanks! Compromises!

J