How would you make a d.i.y. "wabi-kusa"?

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
I am at a loss as to how to go about trying to make a "soil ball" (for lack of a better term) to try this out... The original web page containing the image below of the hands molding a "soil ball" is in Turkish (I think), which I could not translate, so I'm not sure what it's saying.

A side thought is that these might make interesting ways to do emersed "dry-start" growth from these balls around wood and rock. Kind of a modular, quick way to make a nice planted tank.

From ADA's web site, under their "Wabi-Kusa" category:
Translated version of http://www.adana.co.jp/_product/242_index.html
242_Gazoa.jpg

Translated version of http://www.adana.co.jp/_product/241_index.html
241_Gazoa.jpg

BiTAK Forum - Wabi-Kusa
48457581ls4.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey Jason,

Seems to me like you would use gardening soil, flourite, or perhaps ADA along with some clay or something to keep it together.

Moisten it so it retains it's shape when formed.

Then plant it and keep it moist.

I would probably keep it in a round tupperware with some water on the bottom so it can draw water up as needed.....

Let us know if you do it.......

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ADA AS works well, it's clay mostly anyway, so it molds well.

Red art clay also works well, roll the clay balls in soil and mix well, then the clay will hold the soil particles and shape.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
Those sound much simpler than what I was imagining... Having to get some mesh and wrap everything into it.

There are some of Amano's tanks that are just immersed wabi-kusa balls with driftwood and rocks, with the wood and plants growing out over the top. Looks great. Maybe I'll give it a shot next week when I get back from the AKA convention.

-Jason