How to wire a Burkert type 6011 solenoid

alanle

Prolific Poster
Jun 10, 2013
Josh It comes with the din connector if you look on picture 3. 24v adapter is also available on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
My bad, I didn't see the din. I guess that's what happens when you post before 5 am.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Alan, link the 24v adapter for the helpless that often read these threads :)

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
Unless I'm missing something again, that's a D/C converter. You need 24VAC. (When you see a burkert that has a hertz after the voltage, it's A/C. The D/C coils clearly say a D/C.

alanle

Prolific Poster
Jun 10, 2013
no you didnt miss anything. I didnt realize it was 24vac even though the title clearly says 24vac:). You learn something new everyday. That ebay seller also sells 24vac power adapter.

Reactions: 2 people

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I personally like the clean look of a standard and robust 18/3 gauge power cord. No converter needed. I've bought all of my solenoids from either iprocessmart.com (which is an authorized Burkert dealer) or aquariumplants.com. The late Left C arranged a deal with freshwatersystems to carry the correct solenoid/DIN, etc for us. No converter needed. It's literally plug and play with a coil that is designed for the amount and type of power coming out of an American wall socket. If you go to ebay and buy surplus, make sure to get the correct converter otherwise you can catch things on fire.

Flyinghellfish

Prolific Poster
Dec 26, 2011
Good thing the solenoid is hook up to a Co2 cylinder and a glass box full of water. It's literary the best place for a fire to start. :D I'm just playing with you man. Any of you guys hook up the solenoid to those "brick" adapters? It's like a laptop ones with the extra cord on the other side, it drives me insane when one plug takes up two sockets.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Flyinghellfish said:
Good thing the solenoid is hook up to a Co2 cylinder and a glass box full of water. It's literary the best place for a fire to start. :D I'm just playing with you man. Any of you guys hook up the solenoid to those "brick" adapters? It's like a laptop ones with the extra cord on the other side, it drives me insane when one plug takes up two sockets.

Please don't say anything about fires! LOL I read a thread a while back were a solenoid started to smoke. Not good. ;p

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
I think it was a d/c burkert wired for a/c. (Or vise versa) I vegly remember the thread.

Daniel T

Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for the excellent step by step instructions. I wired mine today and it worked perfectly. The solenoid does get pretty warm so I might add a small heat sink to help cool it down a little.

superflame

Prolific Poster
May 10, 2011
Daniel T said:
Thanks for the excellent step by step instructions. I wired mine today and it worked perfectly. The solenoid does get pretty warm so I might add a small heat sink to help cool it down a little.

It's normal that the burkert get a little warm. I have been using mine for 3 years now and does not produce any heat under my cabinet. You shouldn't be worry since, most hobbyist including myself been using Burkert 6011a for years. However, in rare situation you may get a bad unit and those will leak. If no issues within 1-2 month of usage. It will last you a life time.

Stevek

Junior Poster
May 23, 2016
Thanks for the excellent step by step instructions, this is great for salt water aquariums as well !!!