This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How to take care of a well planted fish tank?

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Wemodick, May 3, 2011.

1. Wemodick

Wemodick Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:54 AM
    Ok, my Betta just died of Ich. In about a month I'm going to get some Driftwood, 3 live plants, and maybe some java moss. How do I change the water? Can the plants live for like 30 mins out of water?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    using a drinking water hose you can siphon out water during a water change to a drain, sink, or toilet. be sure not to suck up fish or other critters. I usually put a net over the end in the tank. Tom Barr posted a picture of a pvc attachment he made for the end of his hose that hangs on the side of the tank and will drain to the appropriate level. I use something similar. You can also use an attachment and connect the hose to a sink or where your shower head connects and fill the tank up that way after putting the proper amount of dechlorinator in the tank. Make sure the temperatures are close to the same or you may shock some fish with a rapid temperature shift.

The plants can live outside of water and are commonly found growing emmersed (meaning not fully underwater) in the natural environment. It is important they do not dry out however. If doing maintenance and removing plants you could always put them in a bucket with some water.

When planting and setting up a layout i usually lay out the plants and spray them with a spray bottle occasionally to keep them wet.

Hope that helps.

#2 ShadowMac, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  3. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    9:54 PM
    The other way of keeping plants that you take out of the tank is by putting them on a table covered with plastic bag or sheet. It will keep the moisture from evaporating

also to change the water they sell a small gravel cleaner siphon tube at your lfs for about 10$

We use it on our 3 gal betta planted and it's great.
    If ya need a pic I'll show it to you.

4. Florin Ilia

Florin Ilia Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have a couple of questions about this, hope the OP doesn't mind:
    1. Is it safe to just go ahead and dump the dechlorinator in the tank before adding new water?
    I use AMQUEL+ and NOVAQUA+ to treat new water, I overdose them anyway since the fine print says it's safe, but with this procedure the concentration would be more than I ever had.

2. Is it safe to regulate the temperature by combining cold water with hot water from the mains?
    The cold water from the mains is way colder than my tank. My current procedure is fill a bucket with just cold water and then microwave some of it. I would love to fill directly from the water mains but I seem to remember reading somewhere that municipal hot water is not safe for aquariums.

5. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    9:54 PM
  6. Florin Ilia

Florin Ilia Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Mine's a 12g nano.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    for 12 gallons you could probably do your entire water change with a 5 gallon bucket, so the siphon Henry mentioned sounds like your best bet. Mixing hot and cold from your water line should be fine. Since you are in Romania, however, I won't claim to know anything about your municipal water supply, but as far as I know hot water and cold water from the tap is the same, just hot water has been heated by an in house hot water heater.

If you use a bucket you should add the dechlorinator to that. I add it directly to my tank because I change about 20 gallons at a time and use a hose. I do not want to lug bucket after bucket up and down the stairs.