How to reduce light......

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH
Basically I have been getting equipment together for a 55 gal tank. I originally wanted to have pressurized CO2, but have run out of money. So then, I thought that I would dabble in the non-CO2 method until I can afford a CO2 system. Unfortunately I have already bought my lights and they are too high of wattage (evaluated in a previous thread by Mr. Barr). I have 130w of pc's, giving me 2.4 w/gal. So my question is:

Can I just block out some of the light? What is the best way to do this?

Would it work if I just put some masking tape strips on the glass top covering the tank? So if I block out around 37% that will bring me down to 1.5 w/gal right?

Anybody have any experience with this?

There are only 2 bulbs (one on each side) so unplugging a bulb is probably not an option. Also I don't want to go buy a shop light fixture either. I can imagine the crap my wife would give me after spending $125 on lights if I needed to replace them with a $30 shoplight fixture.... :D

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005
Re: How to reduce light......

Contact AHSupply and see if lower wattage bulbs are compatible with the ballast.

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH

I'll do that. I know the ballast controls whether these particular lights are 55 or 65 watts each, but maybe they have a smaller bulb that has the same pin footprint.

Good idea Dolfan

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005

That's one in a row, I'm on a roll.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

I wouldn't have thought that 2.4 WPG was a problem at all. The cheapest easiest route to reduce light is to add floating plants. Duckweed grows like hell and soon gives you plenty of cover. There are many more floating plants or you could allow the fast growing stem plants to extend over the surface.

Ian

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

As a thought, you might try toilet paper in strategic spots to block off some of the light. Could possibly even place it in a position that might give a shaded area for contrast within the tank. :D :gw

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) fosteder, be happy with your light,it will be fine.i've just come across a plant that works great for your problem. water lettuce.try to find very young plants,about one inch in diameter,in an aquarium they seem to grow more of them and don't get so big as they would in a pond.when you get to many ,simply net out and give to someone or pitch.lots easier to control and get out of tank than duck weed. seems to be good for new tank ,helps to takeup nutrients that otherwise algae would use.two problems solved. regards,cornhusker :) :)

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Ian H said:
IDuckweed grows like hell and soon gives you plenty of cover. There are many more floating plants or you could allow the fast growing stem plants to extend over the surface.

Ian

Duckweed is harder to control than Water Hyacynth or Water Lettuce. In addition the long roots of these two plants are very nice for fry, and can add a nice effect to any aquarium.

I use Water Lettuce when I need to quickly cut down on my lighting. It is usually available at any place that sells pond plants, and loves high light.