How to "reboot" a tank?

AmirM

Prolific Poster
Sep 26, 2007
Israel
Hello,
After two months of trials and a lot of learning, I decided to replace my plants with a new batch. I hope I corrected all my beginner's errors (CO2 level, lights, now I'm using EI...). My old plants are just basically falling apart, decaying and covered with algae.

What would you recommend before I bring new plants in order to avoid another infestation with hair/fuzz algae? Will the algae spores remain in the substrate? Any chemical you recommend for disinfecting the tank?
I really need a fresh start.
Thanks for any advice
Amir
________
VERMONT MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by a moderator:

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi Amir,
You can probably bleach the heck out of your tank and kill most or all spores (as well as the benificial bacteria) but it's a certainty that if you make the same mistakes such as poor CO2, poor feeding etc., the plants will fail again and the algae will return. If you do use bleach make sure you wash it out thoroughly.

Cheers,

AmirM

Prolific Poster
Sep 26, 2007
Israel
Thanks,
I was thinking about keeping the substrate, and removing only the plants.
If I dry the substrate for a few days/weeks- do you think it will be beneficial regarding algae?
Are algae killed effectively by dehydration?
Thanks
Amir
________
Sick from nexium

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Black brush algae doesn't seem to mind being dehydrated for long periods of time, but I think the other algae are killed that way. In any case, all of our tanks contain algae spores - they are everywhere, all of the time. Our objective is to avoid triggering those spores to start their growth cycle. So, I would just clean out any algae you can find. Leave the substrate in the tank, if you want to reuse it, and start with new tap water, fertilizers, plants, etc.

AmirM

Prolific Poster
Sep 26, 2007
Israel
Thank you :)
I will try to reuse the same substrate, but start with a new batch of plants, ferts, etc
I've setup the 4dKH distilled water - and it works great.
Cheers
Amir
________
Black vids