How to measure co2 injection in 2023?

Spencernw

Feb 26, 2018
United States
Hello all,

I have been out of the hobby for quite a few years. I decided to get back into it and was wondering if there have been any new findings on measuring co2 injection? I'm finding it difficult to measure the injected co2 with a bubble counter on a 120g tank as it's impossible to count them and if my needle valve ever gets disrupted, it takes me a few days to get the co2 back in sync.

I wanted to see if there are any devices that exist where I could electronically control the amount of injected co2? It seems very primitive that we would still count bubbles. If not, does anyone recommend a ph controller or are they problematic for the health of the solenoid and not accurate for extended periods of time?

Appreciate the insight!

henry08

Jun 5, 2023
Lancashire
Hi, Unsure about a device to measure co2 however you could go for the ph controller, just be mindful to use a reliable one and make sure it is calibrated regularly. The solenoid can wear over time with constant opening and closing which could then lead to mechanical failure or clogging issues so it will require quite regular maintenance on your end. When I was having issues previously with mine I found some helpful info on solenoid valves on bm engineering so you could always have a read through there too if needed. Hope this helps

Spencernw

Feb 26, 2018
United States
Hi, Unsure about a device to measure co2 however you could go for the ph controller, just be mindful to use a reliable one and make sure it is calibrated regularly. The solenoid can wear over time with constant opening and closing which could then lead to mechanical failure or clogging issues so it will require quite regular maintenance on your end. When I was having issues previously with mine I found some helpful info on solenoid valves on bm engineering so you could always have a read through there too if needed. Hope this helps
Thank you, appreciate the response.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
For larger tanks and higher injection rates, a fine gas flow meter can be used to give you an idea, or at least a target to hit every time with your system. It's not exactly accurate as the amount of CO2 moles will vary with temperature and pressure the gas is under in the meter. But that is just the injection rate, even with a perfectly stable, spot-on injection rate the CO2 concentration can vary depending on the degassing and dissolution efficiency.

So we are back at estimating the concentration of CO2 from the pH value. This can be as simple as a pH probe, pH controller or an entire monitoring/controler system logging the pH and being controlled by wifi (eg Neptune Systems - Apex )

RadMax8

Aug 25, 2020
Cleveland, OH
I have a Milwaukee CO2 controller, and honestly I can’t ever see going back. I have mine coupled with a smart outlet to keep the CO2 solenoid from firing during the dark hours, and it’s honestly never let me down. The best part is you can crank the gas to the max you can dissolve to get it to the proper level quickly, but not worry about killing fish.

Word to the wise though, definitely maintain and calibrate your probe!