How to make DIY Tropica Plant Nutrition (or, how to make the Good Shit)

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Sorry for the delay. 10 trials for MnSO4 (I believe it is MnSO4.H2O) averages to 7.49 grams per teaspoon. Never more than +/- 0.07 grams.

Updated the first post with teaspoon equivalents and corrected James's name. (Sorry James!)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Wet;49191 said:
Sorry for the delay. 10 trials for MnSO4 (I believe it is MnSO4.H2O) averages to 7.49 grams per teaspoon. Never more than +/- 0.07 grams.

Updated the first post with teaspoon equivalents and corrected James's name. (Sorry James!)

But I thought Teaspoons where crude and inaccurate?
That's what these other folks who suggets liquid dosing calim?

Regards,
Tom Barr

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tom Barr;49225 said:

Regards,
Tom Barr

Yeah and they got me into buying a scale. Just kidding:)

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Tom Barr;49225 said:

Regards,
Tom Barr

Use bigger spoons for dosing of pie and/or whiskey. All better. Yum.

It really is interesting to see how repeatable easy steps are. Here I just scooped a heaping teaspoon, levelled with a card above the bag, dumped into a container on the scale, wrote it down, tared, and repeated. +/- 1%, super fast. The important part is staying repeatable and easy.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
I don't know -- I've got my eyeball to close then tap the side of the spoon skills pretty down. I've suggested SCAPE have a competition for this sort of thing and was met with blank stares and I think fishfry laughed. One day. ;)

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Had forgotten to add MnSO4.H2O and its teaspoon conversions to this thing http://calc.petalphile.com

In addition to the Alpha Chemicals source above for MnSO4.H2O, boink mentioned a while ago he sourced some EDTA chelated Mn and he might have it around http://laaquaria.com I've not gotten around to ordering some or weighing it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Wet;48909 said:
But I'm not too into an all in one solution. I am into traces at the moment and had been thinking about Neil's comparison of Fe vs Mn in Tropica, Plantex CSM+B, Flourish, and Miller MicroPlex (a trace I liked when I used it). Check it out:

Code:

Last edited by a moderator:

chad320

Prolific Poster
Jun 1, 2010
Illinois
@ Wet, after 6+ months of trials with the good shit do you still see the need for the MnSO4? Did you try it with and also without it? Im using the CSM+B with 10%DTPA and am considering getting the MnSO4.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I have the materials to make "The Good Shit" with either CSM+B or Miller's Microplex. Has anyone found that one trace mix is better that the other? I could even make a half and half mix or three forth's and one forth mix or whatever. What have you guys found?

I don't want to try to experiment right now. Maybe when I heal, but not now. I just want to make the best one and go with it.