How to limit glosso from taking over tank

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
Still doing the emersed glosso growing. I've been noticing that the glosso grows extremely fast and sends out runners over and under the substrate EVERYWHERE. I've been pulling up runners and cutting them and transplanting them (basically laying them out on the substrate and have them root).

I've heard that it can take over everything. I only want certain sections with glosso obviously. What kind of divider/border can I put between the rest of the substrate and the glosso? Also, I have HC growing in the very front that borders the glosso. I have noticed that the glosso sends out runners overtop the HC and starts rooting in! I guess I'd have to put a border between that too? Or would the HC keep most of it out and I could snip the occaisional invader?

I thought it would be best to put something in now emersed before I fill in several weeks!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Check out the divider method in this thread. This is to stop 2 different substrates mixing but could work with Glosso because you could the trim any Glosso at the edge. However he then uses hardscape and/or other plants to hide the divider. I guess you could let the Glosso grow right up to the border to hide it :)

UK Aquatic Plant Society Forum • Login

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I trim it and use less light.

I actually have 6ft in my 180, but ripped it up after the plecos kept pulling patches up here and there, going with hair grass instead.

Regards,
Tom Barr

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
Tom Barr;35886 said:
I trim it and use less light.

I actually have 6ft in my 180, but ripped it up after the plecos kept pulling patches up here and there, going with hair grass instead.

Regards,
Tom Barr

So don't have plecos, even the rubbernose pleco will do this? :(