how to kill riccia

Patrice

Guru Class Expert
Jan 6, 2006
Hi,
I have a big bunch of e-tennelus here but it contain trace of riccia stuck in it. I dont want to put it in my tank cause that would mixt the riccia with my dwarf riccia (and I dont want that).
Is there a good and effective way to kill those trace of riccia?

thx

Patrice

Guru Class Expert
Jan 6, 2006
JoeBanks;12931 said:
Excel kills riccia when overdosed. Peroxide will also work at 1oz per 10G.

great! Excel is not avalable where I live but I have peroxide. Do you think that this will harm the E tenellus as well?

JoeBanks

Prolific Poster
Jun 23, 2005
If properly diluted (1 oz per 10G) it shouldn't kill anything but the riccia, and any algae that may be on the tennelus. I never tried it with tennelus specifically, but it never harmed any other plants in my experience.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Unfortunately Excel does not kill Bladderwort:mad:
There's are a few liverworts other than Riccia that Excel kills pretty effectively also.

The selectivity is better with Riccia and liverworts than with Cladophora.
I'm after a good, well better method than picking and Exceling this alga, blackout combos worked well in the past, but I still think there's a better method tog et rid of this one.

Killing Riccia selectively is a very useful tool.

Regards,
Tom Barr

taxonomy

Junior Poster
Jan 7, 2016
Northampton, Massachusetts
Hi,

I am going to post to this old thread because I have some questions about killing riccia. I've had the same 75G tank set up in the same location for 18 years. Before that most of the plant stock was in 55G tank in a loft I rented for around 4 years. The stock even spent the summer in a pond. Right now the tank has 1 Finnex 24/7 and 3 Current USA Prolumen lamps for a total of 150w of modern LED lighting and enough PAR to elicit strong pearling. So, pretty strong lighting. The best I have mananged without T5 HO. I don't dose the water column because our town uses reservoir water that seems to have plenty of nutrients. Water is changed automatically every day, probably around 5 gallons per day. I run a UV and micron filter.

Anyhow all was fine until riccia came in on something else. It was massive! I could remove it every day and it would be back in a week. I finally OD'ed with Excel and it did kill the riccia. I overdid it because it took out a lot of other stuff too. The crypts and Anubis grew back. The shrimp are dead. There was never any fish in it. The shrimp were self populating for many years.

There is still some riccia. I see it poking up through the plants and remove it manually. I've been mostly adding around 7.5 ml Flourish and a bit of h202 daily but the riccia sticks around. There's not a lot but it is green. It doesn't look like the strong riccia of old but I know I am about a week away from being over run.

So, I am going to add dosing pump and dose either with Flourish Excel or H2O2 or both. What I am looking to do is gradually kill off the riccia but I really want it all dead forever. Any idea of a dose that would be toxic to riccia and beneficial to the plants?

Thanks