This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

How to kill java moss in Flourite to be used again?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Russ, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Russ

Russ Guest

I'm breaking down a 46 bow front that's been set up for 2.5 years to throughly clean substrate and totally rescape the tank. The java moss in this tank got out of its cage :eek: and has attached itself to all rock, wood and much of the substrate. I want to get rid of the moss forever, but I want to use the 100lbs of Flourite again. Is there any relatively easy treatment to make sure the moss doesn't come back?

thanks,

-Russ

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Peroxide is cheap and wipe all the surfaces down good.
    Then the Flourite, dump the Peroxide in there also and let sit for about 15 minutes.

Clean the Flourite first real good, then add the H2O2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Russ

Russ Guest

Thanks for the advice. :D Peroxide. That makes sense, I've used it to kill algae.

-Russ

4. Naja002

Naja002 Prolific Poster

Will the H202 also work with duckweed? I need to tear down a rescape a 55g with duckweed.

5. nursie

nursie Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I have used peroxide in tanks with algae and have not seen any negative impact on the duckweed. My most effective removal method is the dip net :rolleyes:

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The dip net method has been 100% effective for me, on two totally different tanks. In both cases I was too lazy to go after every single leaf for a couple of months, and it kept coming back. Then I got serious about it and grabbed every leaf on the surface. No more duckweed! It is actually a pretty interesting plant, but it doesn't know when to quit multiplying.