How to keep dragonflies?

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'm trying to find out how to keep dragonflies. An open tank with a thinned partial cover of duckweed and a few resting dragonflies would be awesome. Anyone know how to keep dragonflies?

I've lately been looking up how to grow moss on rocks displayed in a home and keep dragonflies. People that I ask think I'm nuts. I asked the lady at the Walmart Garden Center yesterday if they sold moss seed. Wanna guess how she looked at me?

derekparr

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Re: How to keep dragonflies?

if you're talking about the larvae, i understand they are quite carnivorous, so smaller fish, or other bugs would probably keep them happy.

If you're talking about the flying kind... You'd have to keep your windows open to let the mosquitos and such in for them to eat... and then of course they'ed probably fly away. Not to mention the bug bite collection you'd have.

You might be better off setting up a pond. Perhaps something small as a tub pond might be enough to attract the occasional dragon fly.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Mosses don't have seeds, they have spores............putting moss in a blender and "painting" on the surfaces you want it to grow on is a good method.

I think you'll have issues keep dragon flies in small tank. You need a very large tank and I'm not sure they will last that long. They need live specific foods also.

Basically it will be a temporary set up no matter what.

Regards,
Tom Barr

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

lol. No wonder she looked at me that way, but I don't think she caught the improper terminology I used.

Ok, I'll give up the pursuit. No use sacrificing animals in vain. Still, it would be cool if someone could come up with a reliable method that didn't involve an olympic swimming pool in the basement.

Thanks for the replies guys.