How to grow algae?

bogongmoth

Junior Poster
Apr 3, 2006
Now this is an odd problem - but I want a bit more algae :p

I've had to move my Chinese algae eater to a new 2' x 1' x 1' tank. I've put in lots of plants, 9 cardinal tetras, north facing window but no lights (same as south facing in the northern hemisphere) so plenty of sunlight in the daylight hours. I'm adding CO2 every third day or so with Sera CO2 tablets. Have dropped in a few tabs for micronutrients and top up the macros and micros every so often also. Also, there are a few snails in the tank that came with the plants. Not a speck of algae can be seen anywhere.

The plants are fine, the fish are fine, the water is crystal clear - but I'm worried that the CAE can't get enough to eat. He doesn't seem to eat peas or zucchini or wafers. The little fellow doesn't look like he's starving and seems happy enough for the moment, but he used to have a constant string of poo in his old tank and now not much at all. He lost his mate who jumped out of the tank a couple of weeks ago - they were a real pair (again unusual I know) and I'm trying to make him as happy as possible and know he can live for many years yet.

So far I've occasionally added some brown algae from a low light tank (just moved a few pebbles across).

Is there a way to induce a little bit of algae - perhaps just that soft green algae that grows on glass - without upsetting the plants or the tank generally?

(Eventually he'll get a bigger tank, but he's still young and small so that won't happen for a few weeks or months.)

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC
Re: How to grow algae?

ask LSF for an algae covered rock, or use the Hikari Algae Wafers. Otherwise, just lower your co2 and have a high photoperiod...that should do it!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I think you are happy with the tank, so don't mess with it.
Take a bucket, add a little general house plant fertizer in 4-5 liters of water, sit it outside where it can get full sun, add some rocks and wait.
Rotate these rocks to the tank.

I'd just feed the fish some plant material personally, they are fine.
Some fish are picky at first, but they will get over it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

bogongmoth

Junior Poster
Apr 3, 2006

Thanks everyone - am taking all your advice :D . I've decided to go with the rx in the bucket in the sun plus keep trying with the algae wafers and veges.

Now that my other tanks are going so well (a great measure of thanks to Tom and this forum), I'm not likely to get much more algae in the future so he'll have to learn to eat other stuff :p

quatermass

Prolific Poster
Oct 4, 2005
Livingston, Scotland

bogongmoth said:
Now this is an odd problem - but I want a bit more algae :p

(Eventually he'll get a bigger tank, but he's still young and small so that won't happen for a few weeks or months.)

Just wait 6 months and your CAE will go off algae and start attacking your fish!

:)