How to get rid of thread algae.

J

Jake101

Hi,

Getting these white spiderweb-like thin threads to my aquarium. Just removed them yesterday and today the longest ones are alrady about 5 cm. Looks mostly like thread algae

They grow only on rotala rotundifolia, mostly near the surface. The other part of the tank is covered by frogbits, but not this part because of the stream from the filter pushes frogbits away. Any ideas how to get rid of these guys?

30 litres (started 4 months ago)
11 W Dennerle Nano Light (compact fluorescent lamp with reflector), 7h per day.
No CO2 or liquid carbon
Dennerle SkimFilter (300 l/h)
Weekly low-tech EI ferts + 50 % water changes

Sorry about the picture quality.
IMAG1508.jpg

nano_3kk.jpg

J

Jake101

My Amano's do not seem to touch that stuff. Otherwise they are hungry and active.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
If you can remove and house the Amano's in an other tank for a few days API algae fix works great on thread algae.

J

Jake101

Light is approx. 10 cm from the surface.

Good to know about the API algae fix. Backup plan doesn't harm at all.

Last edited:

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Jake101;126600 said:
Light is approx. 10 cm from the surface.

Good to know about the API algae fix. Backup plan doesn't harm at all.

Ok, light shouldn't be an issue, you have definitively low light. I would try to add as many plants as possible to increase plant mass. In low tech tanks without Co2 that's the only way I know to combat algae.

Also: be sure filters are clean and there is good water circulation. Be consistent with everything (water change, ferts, light, etc), and you should be in good shape after a while.

J

Jake101

Thanks, I'll increase the plant mass with the species that seem to thrive. And not mess with the tank otherwise. I also build today a cardboard cover for the sides of my tank, since the daylight length has increased here in Stockholm from 8 hours in February (when I started the tank) to 18 hours. The tank is in the furthest corner of the living room, but it naturally gets more light now when the Sun shines outside from 4 am to 10pm.

J

Jake101

Nope, but our rooms have windows here and there so even the furthest corners are not that dark.

It would be interesting to actually know what is the effect of the huge change in length of the day in practise, since a large fraction of the aquariums are not held in dark closets. Many aquarists here say that this is the most algae friendly time of the year, but I do not know of there is actual truth behind that, or is it just one of those common believes. Naturally the aquarium temperature also rises a bit when the apartments are warmer.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
How to get rid of thread algae.

I never heard about Spring being the most algae friendly time of the year... Usually in ponds (and I have one) this is the worse, you get algae very easily. In a controlled environment like an aquarium it's hard to believe seasons can have any effect... Temperature aside...

Anyway, I think your best bet is to increase plant mass. That should help!