This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How to float Riccia?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Gerryd, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:08 PM
    Hi all,

I meant so it won't disentegrate and float away :) I KNOW it wants to float away on it's own..

I have some portions that I want to float on the surface and get a nice mat which I can then use as I need.

Any quick ez ideas that can be found around the house or the nearest store?

Appreciate any help. I can grow it, just not corral it lol

2. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    plastic mesh?

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hair nets are an old favorite for meshing things down; why not containment?

Congrats on the promotion BTW.

4. ngrubich

ngrubich Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I don't mean to respond to a really old topic, but I was doing some Riccia research on the site and thought my comment may be of use to someone like myself:

I use Bird Block. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes for like $8 a roll. It has wider openings in the mesh/netting so it can still hold the Riccia together, while allowing it to spread over and through the gaps. I just use fishing line to tie everything off underneath.

5. cameron

cameron Junior Poster

Local Time:
    A piece of foam works too. It floats and sections off where the riccia floats. The riccia then mats on its own (assuming you want a floating mat like the long ago OP). Alternatively, you could get a piece of styrofoam and cut a hole the size and shape of your desired mat. Drop it in, fill it with riccia, and let it go.