This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How to emmerse a Sword?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by shoggoth43, Jan 10, 2010.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:00 AM
    Ok, I'm bored and some of my swords are busy clogging the whole tank with plantlets.

Since swords are bog plants I had this idea to take one or two into work and use them as desk plants. My first attempts have resulted in shriveled little husks of plant. I had initially planted them in some miracle grow organic and just flooded the pot to the top of the plant and let the water level drop over time.

Does anyone have any good pointers on how to transition plants to emmersed growth for long periods or is this just a case of me not covering/misting them enough until they got established? Maybe there wasn't enough light? Maybe too many variables changing too quickly?

-
    S

2. over_stocked

over_stocked Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am interested in this too. I have a new riparium setup and tried this twice with no luck. I misted 3 times a day. I guess the reality is that the heat is really drying out my house(tank is losing 2 gallons a day...).

3. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    It's only a case of moisture. You need constant above 70-80% humidity. Misting is a no go on the long run as they will develop mold. If you cover them (tropical terrarium), ventilation must be adequate and soil dry on surface to avoid mold

They will grow just like emersed setup. Look here for "dry strat" or google "tropical planted terrarium"

4. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    2:00 AM
    I'm currently doing micro swords. The heat is the biggest issue as far as I've seen. Nightly after the lights turn off I open the tops for 30-60 seconds to allow gas exchange and release the heat. I've actually been misting some areas of mine, but only those plants directly under the lights as they're the ones that dry out. Just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine. jonny_ftm's thread actually helped me out a lot.

5. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I don't bother with this water above the plant and let it fall. Neither do I expect mould from misting!!! If you have problems with mould or cyano when misting then just add 10 drops of pure tea tree oil to each litre of misting water (or if you have a 500ml spray mister bottle then 5 drops) It is antibacterial but also kills off mould.

Swords are hard to do emersed. I had to spray several times a day and eventually got bored and gave up with them. They are so prolific within a tank that keeping 1 will mean a never ending crop.

If you don't mist then they tend to dry out on several leaves so you end up with green centres and brown dead leaves on the outer. I kept them in standard under bed storage boxes with cheapest you can find compost filled water to the surface of the compost and HC, Lileopsis Braziliensis, moss, Crypts, Anubias, Ferns etc all in these boxes. Inside thehouse, under 14 hours of light. Everything does well with no misting at all except for the swords.

AC

6. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Using fongicids and other pests is really not necessary.
    Growing crypts and anubia inhouse, exposed to ambiant air, is a no go for most people living in 50% and less air humidity. I even doubt Anubia and crypts can grow with its roots in the air for a long time in anything under 60-70 ambiant humidity

Chain swords grew with no issues (removed them because they were really invasive), without misting, with just a humidity above 80%