How to differentiate the three different Aponogeton madagascariensis varieties ?

brrrpr

Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
I am a big fan of this plant that I have in my aquarium in two varieties, one with a long leaf and the other with a shorter but wider leaf. According to my very old book (picture below) the three recognized varieties are:

1) A. madagascariensis - Bernierianus

2) A. madagascariensis - Henkelianus

3) A. madagascariensis - Fenestralis

It is very likely that this classification be obsolete but all the pictures I found on the Internet are different and the varieties are addressed with different names; the one with the "narrow long" leaf (which here is called: Bernierianus), on the Internet is being called: "A. madagascariensis madagascariensis", which actually looks more like the A. madagascariensis bernierianus on the picture, while the one here on the picture called: A. madagascariensis fenestralis, is addressed by the majority of fonts on the Internet as the "henkelianus" sub-variety.

So now I am confused...who is right ? Who is more updated and reliable ?

Looking on the net for: A. madagascariensis bernieranus (the one on the picture), I did not find any image and also looking for images like the "henkelianus" on the picture, there is nothing on the Internet because the one which is being called (on the Internet): "henkelianus" is actually corresponding to the "fenestralis" on the picture.

Please someone cast light on this classification enigma and if possible a picture of the real "henkelianus" variety compared to the "fenestralis" would be welcome.

Thanks

brrrpr

Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016

First on the Left: A. bernierianus. Second on the middle: A. henkelianus. Third on the right: A. fenestralis.

A. madagascariensis varieties.jpeg

brrrpr

Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
According to my book classification I found the following pictures:

Long and narrow leaf, it should be: Aponogeton madagascariensis madagascariensis or A. m. bernierianus:

A. madagascariensis madagascariensis.jpg

A.m. MADAGASCARIENSIS.jpg

brrrpr

Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
So as shown by the pictures (and if I understood correctly), the differences between the varieties could be summed:

1) A. m. madagascariensis and A. m. bernierianus are the same plant. (???)

2) A. m. fenstralis has a regular leaf pattern with no connections within the holes.

3) A. m. henkelianus has an irregular leaf pattern with connections within the holes.

Last edited by a moderator:

James V Freeman

Jan 11, 2018
Estero, Fl
Best info I have found so far comes from "Aquarium Plants: The Practical Guide", by Pablo Tepoot. He has photos and descriptions (guessing European trade names?) of the three subspecies. The delicate, extra wide leaf like a fat papaya shape Aponogeton Madagascariensis; the long-leaf, medium width and meatier Aponogeton Madagascariensis var. West Coast; and finally, the smaller, very narrow leafed and light spring green Aponogeton Madagascariensis var. Henkelianus. Not sure where to match up names like "var. Major", "var. Fenestralis", and the phantom "var. Guillotii" with 3-5 flower spikes I keep reading about in various forums but have never seen. I grow and propagate the first two from seed, haven't had the narrowest leaf Henkelianus in many years and only see it available in U.K. and Continental Europe, wondering why it isn't common in America. Here are photos from Tepoot's book; first photo is West Coast that I've most commonly seen available, and second photo is of the less commonly available widest leaf next to the narrowest leaf Henkelianus. What is the most definitive source on the taxonomy, trade names and the history of their discovery and first cultivation? I've read about Dr. Albert Greenberg's Eureka Springs nursery so far, would love more info.
Tepoot book 1.JPG
Tepoot book 2.JPG