This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with spirogyra

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by azriazmi89, Oct 9, 2017.

1. azriazmi89

azriazmi89 New Member

Local Time:
    1:28 PM
    Hi, have anyone ever experienced dealing with spirogyra? :(

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    5:28 AM
    Yes, trim it off, pull out plants and strip the algae off them, then replant. Adjust the CO2. Clean filters, 2-3x a week water changes, peroxide and Excel. Some folks use the algaefix, but it will kill some shrimp, Amano shrimp are the more touchy of the species, RCS are pretty resistant, but you might lose a few of them.

When my gas tank ran out, that's when I get the various hair algae, otherwise it's rare.
    It's a lot of labor basically to stop it and clean things up.
    Somewhat the case for most algae.

Different methods, causes etc, but the basic routine is fairly similar. Remove what's there, fix things generally, care for the tank more............

3. azriazmi89

azriazmi89 New Member

Local Time:

Thanks tom for your quick reply. I will try your method first then will update it back later. Fyi, my tank was running with high light, high nutrients and high co2 but suddenly 2 weeks ago this spirogyra appears.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    5:28 AM
    That's a great method to get algae if something goes wrong(High light, ferts, CO2).
    Try low light, rich CO2 and moderate ferts.

You rarely have issues.

If you have higher light, rich ferts and CO2, you need to care for it. Trim, water changes, cleaning etc.
    More advanced folks can get away with some things, but generally............

5. azriazmi89

azriazmi89 New Member

Local Time:
    Noted! I think I understand it now. Thanks Tom!

6. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    I

Would you be able to elaborate more on what you'd consider moderate ferts vs high ferts? Does it only apply to what we consider macros, or micros as well. What kind of ppm range? Or is there an older post that goes into this?

Tags: