How to clean up BBA covered plants I get from client's tanks that I redo

Melissa Morrison

Feb 12, 2015
Virginia
tgenega said:
FWIW - in my low light tank BBA grows only where the current is strongest...

Interesting. When I moved my anubias from my high tech tank to my low tech tank, the BBA was already on the lowest under-leaves of the plant. For the most part, that is where it remained. It did spread across the lower leaves that it was already on, but did not effect the upper leaves that were closes to the intake tube where there should be more flow. Eventually, the lower leaves became carpeted with the stuff and I just ended up clipping them off. It also tried to spread to some of the older leaves of some amazon sword plants, so I just pulled them off when I saw it. Right now, there is no more sign of it. *crosses fingers*

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Melissa Morrison said:
Interesting. When I moved my anubias from my high tech tank to my low tech tank, the BBA was already on the lowest under-leaves of the plant. For the most part, that is where it remained. It did spread across the lower leaves that it was already on, but did not effect the upper leaves that were closes to the intake tube where there should be more flow. Eventually, the lower leaves became carpeted with the stuff and I just ended up clipping them off. It also tried to spread to some of the older leaves of some amazon sword plants, so I just pulled them off when I saw it. Right now, there is no more sign of it. *crosses fingers*

If the problem is really Co2 fluctuation, in your case the lower part is probably where such fluctuations occur the most. Just trying to find a logic here... :)

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
Ah BBA, the aquarium std, the gift that keeps giving. Wear protection. Spot nuke it with peroxide from a dropper or sugar coat it with ADA Bacter 100. Then blackout and wrap it (the tank) for 3 days. Up the CO2 to 3 bps and KNO3 to get NO3 in the 15-20ppm range.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
I've noticed that I get it in my high flow areas lately. I used to get it in low flow areas now I'm noticing the opposite. I have this crap all over my buces and other slower growing plants. I EI dose and have plenty of light and CO2.

So the method to get rid of this is to lower CO2, fert the same, and leave the lights the same? Tom any suggestions???

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Likely just the very low CO2 levels.

BBA comes from streams and optimal CO2 seems to be 5-10ppm.
If it's lower, which is often the case in non CO2 tanks.............then it quickly dies.

While in a CO2 enriched tank, even after you correct the CO2 issue that was low or variable for a few days........then BBA will continue to live.
If the CO2 is stable and high, plan growth good, DOC lowish, then you never get any BBA bloom.

It's that transition range area that dogs people with BBA.
What does DOC lowish mean?

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
My high tech tank with high plant mass, medium light and CO2, no bba. My low tech dirt tank with high plant mass, high direct sun light from the window, no bba. My fish only tank with no plants, heavy stocking, and low light has bba on rock, heater and filter plumbing which I mitigate with peroxide spot treatment during WC. Apparently, bba thrives in low light and high DOC (dissolved organic carbon) from heavy stocking.

Devisissy

Oct 21, 2019
Inland Northwest
This is fairly accurate to what I have noticed. I have a puffer in my main display so I breed snails in a small 3 gallon. It is extremely low tech. Low light, no ferts, once a month WC, just red root floaters, no heater, just 50/50 tap to ro, with RO top offs. Snails are fed algae that I use in my reef tank. No algae at all, one can argue the snail to algae ratio. Maybe they eat it? I take affected anubias and other slow growers and toss them in there and they are BBA free after a few weeks. They remain that way for months to come. If only I could toss my whole carpet in my snail tank. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mike k