How to Clean Freshwater Aquarium Filter Media

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
I'm planning on partially replacing old bio filter media (Fluval) with new stuff. My question is : How should I treat the old media, to rejuvenate it as much as possible? I want to clean it, dry it out, and put it away for future use. Thx in advance,
Walter

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania
jonathan11;115907 said:
I'm planning on partially replacing old bio filter media (Fluval) with new stuff. My question is : How should I treat the old media, to rejuvenate it as much as possible? I want to clean it, dry it out, and put it away for future use. Thx in advance,
Walter

I guess my question would be if you could treat and rejuvenate it then why would you want to replace it to begin with? I personally wouldn't bother, but if you are intent on doing so I would only use substances that wouldn't leave traces of harmful chemicals. A Hydrogen Peroxide bath may be an idea, you could then rinse it off and leave the media in fresh water for a while to allow residual Hydrogen Peroxide to degenerate. As to whether or not this will be effective and will clean and "reopen" the surface area in the media, I have no idea!

Wy don't you try it and tell us - at least visually - whether you see any difference with this treatment.