how to clean biological media (dead media)

B

Brian20

I have a biorings biologcal media that is filthy an dry. I can use bleach to clean it and its pores?

thanks

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Bleach would most likely work fine so long as you soak it out after for a good while. I'm not sure if the porosity of the ceramic rings will act like a microsieve or not; in the case that it does, a couple days soaking in clean water along with some heavy rinsing would help to assure that there isn't anything hanging around.

-Philosophos

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Yes. Bleach will work.
Soak for a whilen as in a few days if you really want to. You might even apply a warm or hot bleach to it which may help. When done, rinse well and throw in a bucket with some water and heavy dechloir for a few days. Rinse again and put back in with new water a dechlor.

-
S

Brian20;42424 said:
I have a biorings biologcal media that is filthy an dry. I can use bleach to clean it and its pores?

thanks

B

Brian20

First wash inpuse bleach. 12 hours long. It cleaned but still are dirty.

Second wash today. 100% bleach. If it not work I will use muriatic acid

B

Brian20

Well second wash, about 4-5 hours. Therings was cleaned but not like I want.
third wash, Muriatic acid at 27% (for pools). Like 10 minutes in muriatic acid in a bowl that I shake it. Result *NEAR WHITE*. It works and not eat a lot of ceramic.

Caution: Muriatic Acid is very strong, NEVER TOUCH IT unless you want to have your skin like metal with Alien liquids.

Now I have a problem, the rings have a bad odor. Smell like chlorine with Acid.

I will try to wash them a lot and use dechlor

B

Brian20

I washed with water the rings, still a chlorine odor. I put them to take air in the night. Today the rings not have odor still I bought Aquasafe (Tetra brand) and use 2 caps in the rings. Fill the bowl with water again. I will use the rings tomorrow.