This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

how to clean biological media (dead media)

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Brian20, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    11:59 PM
    I have a biorings biologcal media that is filthy an dry. I can use bleach to clean it and its pores?

thanks

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    Bleach would most likely work fine so long as you soak it out after for a good while. I'm not sure if the porosity of the ceramic rings will act like a microsieve or not; in the case that it does, a couple days soaking in clean water along with some heavy rinsing would help to assure that there isn't anything hanging around.

-Philosophos

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    Yes. Bleach will work.
    Soak for a whilen as in a few days if you really want to. You might even apply a warm or hot bleach to it which may help. When done, rinse well and throw in a bucket with some water and heavy dechloir for a few days. Rinse again and put back in with new water a dechlor.

-
    S

4. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    I put it on bleach. Hopely tomorrow they will be clean.

5. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    First wash inpuse bleach. 12 hours long. It cleaned but still are dirty.

Second wash today. 100% bleach. If it not work I will use muriatic acid

6. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    Well second wash, about 4-5 hours. Therings was cleaned but not like I want.
    third wash, Muriatic acid at 27% (for pools). Like 10 minutes in muriatic acid in a bowl that I shake it. Result *NEAR WHITE*. It works and not eat a lot of ceramic.

Caution: Muriatic Acid is very strong, NEVER TOUCH IT unless you want to have your skin like metal with Alien liquids.

Now I have a problem, the rings have a bad odor. Smell like chlorine with Acid.

I will try to wash them a lot and use dechlor

7. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    I washed with water the rings, still a chlorine odor. I put them to take air in the night. Today the rings not have odor still I bought Aquasafe (Tetra brand) and use 2 caps in the rings. Fill the bowl with water again. I will use the rings tomorrow.