How to build a Victor VTS253b-320

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
In case anyone needs the part numbers for "B" model stainless SGT 500 replacement gauges, just PM me. They are about $45 each.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
This is a nice DIY for how to prep your regulator for all the parts you just ordered.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7788-How-to-prep-an-Victor-HPT-270-for-a-post-body

The best place to buy a CGA 320 nut/nipple is:
http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/store.php/products/cga-320-nut-and-nipple

Here is how to install a CGA 320 nut/nipple. I highly recommend teflon tape on the CGA nipple instead of non-hardening thread sealer. The teflon tape seals better on high pressure parts.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7786-How-to-change-a-CGA-on-a-used-regulator

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Jowlz;58323 said:
Matt,

Thanks for the excellent write up. It saved me a ton of leg work!

That's the idea! Glad it helped. Learn from my mistakes b/c I didn't have any threads to follow with step-by-step pictures.

side note, I went into my local Ace hardware and they have a full selection of npt brass fittings. If you want to circumvent the rediculous $12 shipping fee from bigway.com, go into your local Ace hardware store. You'll trully save money.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
pat w;58349 said:
+1 on the outstanding post. Sweet, shiney, clean rig.

Makes me feel kind of guilty I'm working to sort of put you Reg. guys out of business.

Pat

I think that's what capitalism is all about. Those who have a better product or a better way to do it push out those who offer a sub-par unit of the same price. Ready made units (i.e. Milwaukee, Azoo, and the countless others) will always have their niche for those who are not mechanically inclined or do not have the patience to deal with ordering parts, etc. Don't worry about regulator builders, they have their place, too.

Don't feel bad for demanding a quality piece of equipment for your money and investment.

fwiw, most of the aquarium regulators are made in china and taiwan. This plays into the big picture of outsourcing and the trade imbalance between Asian and the United States. The US unemployment rate is still high ,especially in California (nearly 12%). By buying locally made npt fittings from Ace hardware, Ideal valves from Bill Sand, and American made dual stage regulators, you are supporting American jobs/businesses.

What do you have to feel bad about?

Support your local businesses and American industry. Quality is second to none.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
barbarossa4122;58346 said:
Another outstanding post (#23). Thanks Matt.

Thanks!

On the BHT and HPT 500 models, I like using a 2" nipple instead of a 2.5-3". It looks better IMO. See Left C's Dual Stage thread for pics.

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
Matt F.;58386 said:
What do you have to feel bad about?

Here you and LeftC and all the others are working so hard to bring high quality, high precision gas delivery systems to everyone in the hobby at affordable prices and I'm trying to design a reactor that doesn't need the quality or the precision. Granted I'm a ways off from declaring success.

Pat

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
pat w;58428 said:
Here you and LeftC and all the others are working so hard to bring high quality, high precision gas delivery systems to everyone in the hobby at affordable prices and I'm trying to design a reactor that doesn't need the quality or the precision. Granted I'm a ways off from declaring success.

Pat

The more options out there for us, the better (whether via reactor or dual stage regulator). These are two ways to circumambulate the problems we face when forced to deal with inaccurate and cheap aquarium equipment.

Nothing to feel bad about.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
As some of you know, I recently aquired a like-new Matheson Model 8-580. Thanks to the help of S&KGray at Barr's site, I was educated that I needed a fine thread CGA nipple, not the standard 1/4" npt that Victors and other regulators use.

According to my Jim at Regulator and Torch Repair, Matheson Model8s are made by Harris, who uses a strange inlet port thread. The output on these Mathesons is 1/4 npt, so you don't have to worry about post body kits.

Here is the link for the correct part:
http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/store.php/products/cga-320ft-nut-and-nipple

You can also order them from Western Enterprises via Airgas: part number CO-7 (thanks again to S&KGray for the part number)

You use a regular CGA 320 nut with this fine thread nipple.
Below are some pics.

The difference between 1/4" npt and the 1/2" 27 thread:
Matheson001.jpg

Matheson002.jpg

Here is the old CGA 580 next to the new CGA 320
Matheson004.jpg

Here is the new CGA 320 installed on the Matheson Model 8-580
Matheson006.jpg

FWIW, this brand of regular CGA nut/nipple is top notch. It comes with a nice 3" nipple , which includes a factory installed filter and a standard CGA 320 nut.
Matheson005.jpg

Here is the place to order this standard 1/4" nut/nipple (stem).
http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/store.php/products/cga-320-nut-and-nipple

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Here are three ways you can exit a 90* exit regulator like the HPT 500, BHT 500, SGT 500, and like regulators.

These are using Swagelok stainless parts:

Type 1: 2" long 1/4 npt (male) hex nipple (less restriction of gas flow):
style2008.jpg

style2007.jpg

Type 2: 1/4" male x 1/8" female reducer bushing, 2" long 1/8" npt male hex nipple: (this could be more useful on HPT 270s or regulators with larger gauges)
style2001.jpg

style2004.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Type 3: 1/4" male x 1/8" female reducer bushing, 1/8" npt male hex nipple, which will get you the same amount of space as type 1 when everything is said and done.

style2005.jpg

style2006.jpg

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Have you tried using a 1/4" x 1/8" reducer bushing on the regulator body and then a 1/8" nipple at whatever length is needed? This way, the elbow wouldn't be so large and the nipple extension's diameter wouldn't be as thick.

SS-4-RB-2 Reducing Bushing, 1/4 in. Male NPT x 1/8 in. Female NPT Price: $5.74
SS-4-RB-2.jpg

SS-2-HN Hex Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT Price: $4.72
SS-2-HN.jpg

SS-2-HLN-1.50 Hex Long Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT, 1 1/2 in. Length Price: $7.69
SS-2-HLN-2.00 Hex Long Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT, 2 in. Length Price: $8.20
hexlongnipple.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Left C;59290 said:
Have you tried using a 1/4" x 1/8" reducer bushing on the regulator body and then a 1/8" nipple at whatever length is needed? This way, the elbow wouldn't be so large and the nipple extension's diameter wouldn't be as thick.

SS-4-RB-2 Reducing Bushing, 1/4 in. Male NPT x 1/8 in. Female NPT Price: $5.74
SS-4-RB-2.jpg

SS-2-HN Hex Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT Price: $4.72
SS-2-HN.jpg

SS-2-HLN-1.50 Hex Long Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT, 1 1/2 in. Length Price: $7.69
SS-2-HLN-2.00 Hex Long Nipple, 1/8 in. Male NPT, 2 in. Length Price: $8.20
hexlongnipple.jpg

The pictures actually represent the parts you listed.

The parts show in my pics are: SS-4-RB-2(reducer bushing) , SS-4-HP (1/8" male hex nipple), and for the 2" long nipple, SS-2-HLN-2.00.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Matt F.;59294 said:
The pictures actually represent the parts you listed.

The parts show in my pics are: SS-4-RB-2(reducer bushing) , SS-4-HP (1/8" male hex nipple), and for the 2" long nipple, SS-2-HLN-2.00.
Great! I see them listed. I didn't see Type 2 and Type 3 when I posted.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Left C;59302 said:
Great! I see them listed. I didn't see Type 2 and Type 3 when I posted.

The picture of the 1/4 mpt x 1/8 fpt reducer bushing is misleading (not your fault, swagelok's...lol).

That part does look a bit different. It sticks out more than the picture your link shows.