how to balance co2 and water agitation?

osnapitseric

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
Any tips? Recently i increased my water agitation by a lot because i was accumulating bio film and the water surface at the end of the tank wasn't moving much.

Now i have a lot of movement that will reach to the end of the tank. I have ripples reaching all over the place however im worried about my co2 levels. What can i do to balance it?

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Slowly increase your CO2 input or improve your diffusion method. Be sure to be around to keep an eye on your fish for any adverse reaction, this is key to upping the CO2 levels gradually. Let your plants also be your indicator. You can supplement with Excell during this time until you are confident that your CO2 levels are optimal.

If you have a drop checker you can use that also as a guide. But don't put all your faith in it. Your plants should be your no. 1 indicator, and the drop checker just a quick reference.

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Although I have to say my first approach rather than the Excell dosage would be to lower the lighting level first if you can. Less light less CO2 demand. Then as you increase CO2 and are happy with the levels then increase lighting. You may have to increase CO2 again. But that approach should give you more room for error in relation to CO2 limitation.

osnapitseric

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
i'm still new to all this and on constantly tweeking around with things. As much as i want to just rely on plants as a indicator, i dont think im veteran enough to do that. I think i'll have to pick up a drop checker. what do you think about this CAL AQUA LABS Double Drop Checker | Green Leaf Aquariums

At least this drop check will let me know what range i'm in.

I can't lower my lighting and using excel would be costly as my tank is a 60g.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I can't lower my lighting

Can you mount/raise the entire fixture instead? There are many different ways to suspend/mount the lights so they are adjustable if you are interested. I used simple closet shelving arms on an adjustable rack and laid my fixture over the arms. This also provides an ability to move from front to back as well.

Not professional maybe but is only me and it works great. Doesn't look that bad, or at least noone ever said so!

This adjustment gives a lot of options for controlling light and plant growth rates...

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
I WOULD NOT waste my money on a drop checker that costs more then $10 they are all the SAME, the extra bubble is pointless, if its so clear that you cant see the one bubble yourself then you need to just forget about a drop checker :p, go to ebay and they have them for $6, then get a 4dkh ref or make it, i think the ref that will last you forever costs $10 shipped.

ps... i hate to say it but the stuff on that cal site is a rip off IMO