This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How much water change for a large planted tank?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by kenle74, Nov 16, 2015.

1. kenle74

kenle74 New Member

Local Time:
    5:11 AM
    I recently setup this planted tank, inspired by the humongous 1600-gallon planted tank which Tom setup for a client. Mine is obviously smaller, with less variety of plants. I also have a 180-gallon refugium underneath.

I recently added automatic water change, which drains 10 gallon every 4 hours --> 60 gallons a day, 420 a week. Is this enough water change for my setup? Should I increase the interval between drainage?

Thanks

2 people like this.
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Very nice! Hard to pull off big tanks like this. Congrats. 420 gal/week is plenty IMO.

Funny that the 180 below it looks so tiny! Don't see refugiums in plant tanks often - why did you do it? I often wish I had a farm tank as a refugium, where I didn't have to scape and could toss random plants until the scape needed them again.

3. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Cool - can you share more of the techie details and photos? Nice work!

4. kenle74

kenle74 New Member

Local Time:
    The refugium is a habit from my reef tank days. It is additional insurance, and for me to grow out some of the plants initially.

I was so inspired by Tom's 1600-gallon tank that I knew I want to do something similar. But planted tank takes a lot of pruning and maintenance during the first 6 months, so I designed the tank to be 32" high instead of 48". Looking back, a depth of 48" would be better, but mine is only 40" deep. I only have space for 10-foot long tank.

I will try to post some setup pictures for the tank once I know how to host these pictures.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd likely get a MP60 instead for the water movement, then add an acrylic plate to seal off the degassing in the bag filter area, then a plate to force the water under the bag filter section, with an over flow/clogging bag filter by pass pipe inside the sealed bag filter section.

I'd also use more wood and ferns etc, and remove the weedy stem plants or push them to the rear, and fill in those spots with the Starougyne or Blyxa. Fish mix is good, current is good.

I'd say if you added 100-200 Red cherry shrimp, they could establish a population with the angels and Rams there picking some off here or there.

I'd use a faster pump to drain for auto change and do a larger %, say 60 gallons but over 1 hour time frame. Less mixing or clean water with old water, better resource usage.

Do this right before the lights come on. 5-10% a day is good for most auto mated water changes. I'd still do a good sized water change and vacuum up any much once every 2-4 weeks or after a big rework.

6. kenle74

kenle74 New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you so much, Tom, for your great suggestions. Reading your previous posts, I agree with your advice against having a wet-dry sump/filter for a planted tank. For my refugium/sump, I tried to minimize the CO2 degassing effect by: 1. sealing off the overflow box; 2. extending the drainage tube deep into the sock filters; 3. draining some water from the sock filter section thru a few side holes to the refugium planted area. I will look into modifying that section to further minimize CO2 loss through degassing.

My wife loves those stem plants (Ammania Gracilis). Beside Blyxa as an alternative, how about more Crinum Calamitratrum or Alternanthera reineckii (for color) or a mix of those? (Similar to what I did on the right corner).

I already have more than 100 cherry shrimps in the refugium. My plan was to move them into the big tanks once they are bigger. I will look into adding another 100 cherry shrimps. My elephant nose fish needs live food too.

With my automatic water change, the drainage is currently via gravity, not by pump. The volume I can drain is somewhat limited by the refugium return pump section. After reading your advice, I switched to 15 gallon every 6 hours.

It definitely helps to get such good suggestion from an expert.

7. ak24

ak24 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Kenle, nice tank, nice plants, nice to see/hear the movie...

Alternathera will add a colors for sure, I have this plant, also a. lilacina, rosefolia add nice colors.

Btw, what are Your water parameters and fertilizers shedule ?

8. kenle74

kenle74 New Member

Local Time:
    Water parameters: I have never tested the water since I started the tank. At the beginning, I was almost tempted to test them when some blue green algae showed up at the bottom. But they went away after I cranked up the CO2 and added a little dosing of Potassium Nitrate every day for a week.

For fertilizers: Every week, I add a few scoops of Ca:Mg Sulfate mix at 4:1 ratio. One scoop of Miller powder for essential elements and Iron. Every 2-3 weeks, I add a few scoops of KSO4 to replace K loss. I never use EI or any consistent dosing method. I bought a doser but too lazy to refill the solution containers on a regular basis. Tom is right to suggest water change; I have an automatic water change setup, plus a 40% water change every 2 weeks. I am sure that I will start testing more regularly when I start running into more problems in the future.

#8 kenle74, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  9. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Beautiful tank!!

What type of crinum is that near the vortechs?

10. kenle74

kenle74 New Member

Local Time:
    Crinum Calamistratum.

11. hadjici2

hadjici2 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    As much as possible :)