This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much trouble am I in?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by james.folsom, May 31, 2010.

1. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

deleted deleted

#1 james.folsom, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

1.5-2x brighter depending on reflectors mostly. Fresh bulbs will be 1.5x output to start, tapering down to about regular after 3 months.

I'm not sure about the spectrum on your bulbs in specific, but 12,000k is heavy blue/green in general missing a lot of prime spectrum in the higher end.

Unless you happen to have a PAR meter, I'd say do what looks good then adjust for intensity as your tank responds.

What size of tank are you running now by the way?

3. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

deleted deleted

#3 james.folsom, May 31, 2010
  4. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Sounds like they've got a PAR meter; they'd certainly want one for what they're doing.

That lighting is overkill. You could've done just as well with a couple of stock T8's. There's nothing like an overpowered light as an excuse for a bigger tank though ;)

5. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

Sounds like I have some options

deleted deleted

#5 james.folsom, Jun 1, 2010
  6. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

This should help. Help your eye lids feel heavy. Find some toothpicks.
    And a few other interesting links,
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6752-quot-Need-quot-high-light-for-red-plants-1.8W-gal-see-what-you-think

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6972-The-light-limiting-growth-management-method

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7002-Why-dont-use-actinics-in-the-planted-tank

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

When you talk to the guys doing the algal biodiesal work, find out how much light they are using to grow algae. I have been told that they can almost grow the stuff in the dark now.

Sorry I'm not more help.

#6 Tug, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  7. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

I'd run no more than one bulb in that fixture, or raise it higher.

Current makes a 10,000k bulb if you want something a little more standard looking.

8. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

deleted deletd

#8 james.folsom, Jun 1, 2010
  9. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Java fern and anubias always seem to respond slow. C. wendtii laying down is one I haven't seen. Short internodal spacing is a good result.

Reflectors would be a smart idea for them; higher output at a lower cost in replacement bulbs and energy. The reflectors would pay for themselves pretty quickly. If it's a matter of initial output expense, they'd probably be better off with even PVC sawed in half and painted a very pure white.

10. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

deleted deleted

#10 james.folsom, Jun 1, 2010
  11. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Interesting reaction; C. parva does it easily but I've never seen it in C. wendtii before under any number of light levels. The plant looks healthy enough.