How much rock(weight) is too much?

rmjuza

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2008
Chicago
I am going to do a complete rescape on a 37gal allglass brand tank. I want to do some mounds of rock/driftwood to give the hardscape some height. At what point should I start to worry about the amount of rock/weight a tank can handle?

thanks Ryan

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
If you put a one cubic foot, 100 pound rock in an aquarium, filled with water, the rock only pushes down on the bottom of the tank a bit less than 38 pounds. Water buoys up anything put in it by an amount equal to the weight of the displaced water. I think that is what saves our tanks from ruptured bottoms. I suspect there is a limit to how much rock you can use, and I know you shouldn't let pointed protrusions on the rock press against the glass. Some people use a plastic pad under the substrate when using heavy rocks, to protect the glass.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I would protect the bottom of the tank. Styrofoam, especially the dense stuff, is nice to use as padding for rocks. A couple dabs of silicon will hold the Styrofoam nicely.

I never have seen, or even recall hearing of a case of a rock breaking aquarium glass for any cause other than mishandling or unstable placement.

But still, that is a big rock for a 37 gallon tank!:D

Biollante

rmjuza

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for the replies. What I am planning shouldn't be a problem weight wise and I always put sand or substrate under the rocks so I should be good.