This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How much rock(weight) is too much?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rmjuza, Jul 29, 2009.

1. rmjuza

rmjuza Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:41 AM
    I am going to do a complete rescape on a 37gal allglass brand tank. I want to do some mounds of rock/driftwood to give the hardscape some height. At what point should I start to worry about the amount of rock/weight a tank can handle?

thanks Ryan

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you put a one cubic foot, 100 pound rock in an aquarium, filled with water, the rock only pushes down on the bottom of the tank a bit less than 38 pounds. Water buoys up anything put in it by an amount equal to the weight of the displaced water. I think that is what saves our tanks from ruptured bottoms. I suspect there is a limit to how much rock you can use, and I know you shouldn't let pointed protrusions on the rock press against the glass. Some people use a plastic pad under the substrate when using heavy rocks, to protect the glass.

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would protect the bottom of the tank. Styrofoam, especially the dense stuff, is nice to use as padding for rocks. A couple dabs of silicon will hold the Styrofoam nicely.

I never have seen, or even recall hearing of a case of a rock breaking aquarium glass for any cause other than mishandling or unstable placement.

But still, that is a big rock for a 37 gallon tank!:D

Biollante

4. rmjuza

rmjuza Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the replies. What I am planning shouldn't be a problem weight wise and I always put sand or substrate under the rocks so I should be good.