How much Micro do I need to use? Should I use liquid Iron?

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!!

I dose 3mil of the CSM+b micro mix that's mixed with 500mil of water.
I dose it every other day.
I have a 40gal tank with CO2

Do I need to use Flourish Iron as well?
If so, how much and how often should I dose the Iron?

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Are you dosing micros at EI levels .2ppm Fe?

As for dosing extra iron, it all depends on the needs of the plants in your tank and how much Fe you are supplying from CSM+B.

Amanda Adkins

aquariumfertilizer.com
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2015
Napa, California
www.aquariumfertilizer.com
You only need more iron than the Nutritrace CSM provides if you have many red leafed plants. The iron is what helps the red shine out. Otherwise the plants only need a microscopic amount of iron. Remember micro or trace nutrients are called this because only a small amount is needed.

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Care to post any pictures @rs18alpha ?

Can't he just increase his dosing of CSM+b? There seems to be a divide on this forum, amongst people who believe that it's easy to reach a trace toxicity, and others who don't think that's the case unless you are recklessly larding it on. Tom has posted many times how he doses his traces and iron on a greater scale than most with no problems, and doesnt believe in easily reaching a trace toxicity.

Seachem iron is gluconate with no chelator. From what I understand it doesn't last in the water column very long, but is very easily taken up by the plants because there is no chelator bond to break.

Also the edta chelator in CSM+b works best for a certain KH and maybe PH.

What is your KH?

Here is a thread where tom Barr aka plantbrain explains his knowledge about iron and chelators and traces.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...nt-substitutions-csm-b-microplex-fe-dtpa.html

He says if you have a higher KH you can simply dose more csm+b ...

Dale