How much light for a 29 gallon?

PunkRotten

Junior Poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

How much light would I need for a 29 gallon 30x12x18? I would like low light category. What fixture, wattage and amount of bulbs would I need? And what would cost be for all of it? Thanks

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
One single fixture with a 24 Watt T5 bulb and reflector, raised about 4 inch above the watersurface would give you a usable range. You could also use a double fixture with two 18 Watt T8 bulbs.

regards,
dutchy

PunkRotten

Junior Poster
Aug 1, 2010
Really? Other people on another site told me with both these bulbs it wont even be in the low light category for plants. They said I will need atleast 4 bulbs. I tried going to lowes and home depot but was only finding 4 ft fixtures. I saw some T5 and some other 2 ft T8 fixtures but those had no plug just wiring. So I really had limited choices and just went and bought the light above. Now I am having buyers remorse cause I feel I got a crappy light for plants.

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
The conventional wisdom reguarding light requirements is going through changes. Due in no small part to studies begun by members of this forum. I got sucked into the "ya need lots o' light" money pit and now I'm running a single T5 HO tube over a 90Gal with the three others in the fixture waiting in the wings as spares. Not to mention that the higher light I had earlier now has me fighting an algae outbreak.

Save your money for other things. I wish I had.

Pat

PunkRotten

Junior Poster
Aug 1, 2010
I had a T5HO fixture at first and was told it was too much. Im not trying to get all fancy with the lights, just want whats considered low light to grow plants for a low tech tank. I have been getting mixed opinions on these dual bulb T8 fixtures. Some are saying its what I need for low tech/low light, and others are saying its not enough. So I am confused.

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
PunkRotten;54989 said:
I had a T5HO fixture at first and was told it was too much. Im not trying to get all fancy with the lights, just want whats considered low light to grow plants for a low tech tank. I have been getting mixed opinions on these dual bulb T8 fixtures. Some are saying its what I need for low tech/low light, and others are saying its not enough. So I am confused.

I currently use a T5HO fixture with only one bulb installed on a 29 gallon tank. I also have in the closet the same fixture in your link, the twin tube all glass T8. The twin tube is noticeably dimmer than the T5 fixture. I think you should be just fine with that fixture. Plant heavy from the beginning and you will be fine.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Last edited by a moderator:

PunkRotten

Junior Poster
Aug 1, 2010
Unfortunately I do not live in NY. Im all the way in CA. I could pay shipping maybe? Anyway the problem is I bought the T8 fixture already, but think this T5NO fixture is a better buy.

PunkRotten

Junior Poster
Aug 1, 2010
So what fixture is better bang for the buck? The T8 and T5NO fixtures are about the same price. So what do you guys think?