This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How much flow in the tank is recommended?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shoggoth43, Jan 19, 2014.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    I need to replace the pump in my tank. It's a 120 Gallon with the 18"x60" footprint.

I'm looking at the Tunze pumps.

So should I get the:

6045 at ~1200 GPH
    6065 at ~1700 GPH

At the moment it would be hard to justify one of the 6055 pumps given the cost.

Doing the math, given the size of the of the outlets and the GPH ratings, they both look like they'd put out a stream of water at ~4 feet per second, which would obviously spread out and diminish in speed. My current pump doesn't do more than 2 feet per second using that same math so either of these seems to be quite a boost in velocity which I expect will not be a big deal once you get a foot or two away from the pump.

Recommendations?

-
    S

2. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:

No ideas? Ok. What about one of the MP40 Ecotec units? Overkill? What about throttling that down? Will I have to drop it down to 50%? Less? I've pretty much got just neon and glo-light tetras and some Ottos and Cory's in there? I'd rather not exhaust them. The plants are arranged in the center to allow for a gyre type flow around the perimeter of the tank.

-
    S

#2 shoggoth43, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  3. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    On my 125g I use MP40 around 30%....if I had to do it over I would get two of the small ones instead.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

4. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Well. Assuming a new style MP40 and a linear rate, which it probably isn't, 30% of 3200 GPH would be around 1000 GPH so probably a Tunze 6045 / Korala 1050 or similar would be about the same flow.

Either should give me ~10X turnover and I can make up at least another 5X turnover on the return from the sump if not a bit more.

Seems like a workable plan.

5. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yeah, I run a Mag18, which is 1800gph into two 1" returns and have the MP40 blowing across the front of the tank opposite the overflow. I think you should be good with what your describing.

The hardest part is not blowing stems over so be careful of your placements.

6. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sounds like you've got quite a bit more flow that I'll have, but I can always add another prop pump or upgrade the return line at some point. I plan on running a 1" manifold to the top, fed from both ends and then four 3/4" locline taps off that. I should be able to shove plenty of flow through that with some room for growth.

7. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I can't yet vouch for the durability, but I bought a Reef Octopus DC 5500 pump. It's very quiet and has several preset speeds from full on to low. Might be something to consider. Not cheap though. $189 on Amazon currently.

8. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's been a while. How did that DC pump hold up?