This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Ferts To Add To 9 Gallon Fluval Flex?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Dd1880, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Dd1880

Dd1880 Member

Local Time:
    8:02 AM
    I have had this scape set up since last February with uns controsoil as the substrate and nilocg thrive as the liquid fertilizer I use! In the beginning I was dosing 2ml once to twice a week and things grew well. But in the last month all of my Ludwigia acruata has stunted or just melted. I’m guessing that the soil has run out of nutrients so I put two seachem flourish root tabs in the soil to hopefully recharge it. Should I be adding 2ml of ferts every day with the new plants I put in? I did have some algae showing up but maybe it was because of the stems stunting? Any advise would be appreciate cause I would rather not loose the new plants I put in which are Ludwigia palustris, limnophilia hipporoides, and s. repens! The thrive has 2.56% nitrogen, .42% iron and other micro and macro nutrients! It also says one pump or 2ml per 10 gallons but the flex is 9 gallons. Thank you for any help!

FD6C4A26-6D9F-4610-AA2D-ED1637C96EE1.jpeg

2A87E3B7-32F3-4CF9-97B9-C1DE31AEC8BA.jpeg

DE3E4E6A-3779-42E5-932F-F634B90B1FB6.jpeg

9CAE3CFE-1B01-43DF-80BA-C4E2BD0175A7.jpeg

2. Zeus

Zeus Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:02 PM
    upload_2020-12-6_10-30-57.png

NilocG is a a little on the lean side compared to EI full dosing levels, however EI full is for tanks with light light and CO2 injection, so full EI levels are not needed for your tank. I would advise increasing your Fert dosing to 2ml x3 per week or 1ml daily and accompany that with 10-20% weekly water changes

Dd1880 likes this.
  3. Dd1880

Dd1880 Member

Local Time:
    Ok thanks! I have both thrive and thrive c. Which one would be better to use with this tank and plant load? Which way would you think would lessen the chance of algae? The dosing 1ml per day or 2ml 3x per week? Thank you for the help!

4. Zeus

Zeus Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:02 PM
    upload_2020-12-6_14-54-31.png

Well Thrive C is basically watered down Thrive, I would go with alternating them and double the dose of Thrive C till its all gone then just get thrive. Algae has nothing to do with excess ferts, having ferts in excess just gives the plants the best chance to out grow the algae. Algae will grow when nutrients levels are in the parts per billion. One simple solution when algae show is just increase your water changes, as this will reduce the Dissolved Organic Compounds ( DOC) in your tank which algae tens to thrive on.
    When was the last time you cleaned your filter? it may be full of detritus which will reduce tank turnover as well, plus if tank turnover is reduce will will be getting less CO2 the tank from the surface, low tech tanks rarely suffer CO2 issues but having a nice surface ripple on the water does help optimise CO2 uptake in low tech tanks

Dd1880 likes this.
  5. Dd1880

Dd1880 Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! Yeah I clean the tank once a week with a 40-50% water change and rinse out the filter floss and sponge in tank water every week! I have the outflow nozzle pointed up so the waters surface is broken! I was thinking of doing 2 water changes a week until the plants grow in more! I’ve haven’t had much algae except on the buce leave a hair algae and this yellow brown film on the glass and back wall! It shows up closer to time to do a water change! The stems are clear of algae. I had Ludwigia palustris from tropica before in this tank that got way redder than the one I just got that was from a lfs not sure the source! It’s growing but almost rust color and not super red like before. But the tropica died off slowly and got algae. Not sure if I was dosing enough ferts at the time cause I was afraid of algae haha

6. Dd1880

Dd1880 Member

Local Time:
    I also clean out the pump every other week and the hose! Thank you for the help!