How much does your passion cost?

El Papai

Junior Poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hello,

Why not share our pains? Since we belong to the same community we will surely understand each other. So let's write right here how much it costs in our countries or states to maintain a tank and how much has this passion cost you.

I will begin.

I live in Brazil. Here are the prices I usually pay or paid (all already in USD):
Seachem Flourish 8.5 oz - 32.00
Pressurized CO2 kit - 250.00
10 gal tank (not even low iron glass) - 80.00
Purigen 5.3 oz - 50.00
Otocinclus - 1.00 (yeah, it is that cheap)
CRS grade B - 20.00 (yeah, it is that expensive)
CRS grade S - 60.00
RCS - 6.00
Zebra danio - 1.2
Cardinal tetra - 1.00
Canister filter eheim 2217 (This is the price my friend paid) - 500.00
Hemianthus 'Cuba' 3x3 in - 5.00
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis 3x3 in - 2.50

If you consider that the average income in my country is around 200.00 - 300.00 USD, it is a very expensive passion for me. lol.

Best regards,
Luiz.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Often times, if you try and buy equivalent equipment from one country, it will cost you a lot more.
Dupla came out back in 1986 in the USA, all German made stuff.
A simple CO2 reactor: 150$.
Fertilizers? A small bottle of iron trace: 30$.

One of the benefits of this was the development of DIY fertilizers in the USA planted hobbyist and in the early 1990's, the intents was just starting out.
This led to most hobbyists worldwide using cheap DIY fertilizers themselves and DIY CO2 has always been popular.
Use equipment is yet another option.

CRS SSS might run 10-15$ in the USa today, 3 years ago, maybe 30-75$.

So time and and sourcing local materials(hardscape, Aquariums, stands, chemicals etc) can really bring the prices down.
Several Portuguese forums can be helpful in finding the best sources and local deals.

DIY methods become rather popular for these reason. You are not required to spend this much $.

It is ironic that Cardinal tetras cost the same where they are from as they do in the USA.
RCS are a good investment since they bred easily and you can sell them.

DIY glass tanks is popular in many countries and there are many "how to" Youtube videos on how to make various items.
Brand name equipment is to be avoided if at all possible, eg Seachem Flourish: buy a DIY trace element fertilizer like CMS+B or similar.
Small DIY filters can be made that are superior to the Canisters for 1/5th or less the price.

Local aquarium clubs are also excellent sources for trades, selling and buying extra items.
You have internet access, so that will bring many out of the woodwork to attend the meetings.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Often times, if you try and buy equivalent equipment from one country, it will cost you a lot more.
Dupla came out back in 1986 in the USA, all German made stuff.
A simple CO2 reactor: 150$.
Fertilizers? A small bottle of iron trace: 30$.

One of the benefits of this was the development of DIY fertilizers in the USA planted hobbyist and in the early 1990's, the intents was just starting out.
This led to most hobbyists worldwide using cheap DIY fertilizers themselves and DIY CO2 has always been popular.
Use equipment is yet another option.

CRS SSS might run 10-15$ in the USa today, 3 years ago, maybe 30-75$.

So time and and sourcing local materials(hardscape, Aquariums, stands, chemicals etc) can really bring the prices down.
Several Portuguese forums can be helpful in finding the best sources and local deals.

DIY methods become rather popular for these reason. You are not required to spend this much $.

It is ironic that Cardinal tetras cost the same where they are from as they do in the USA.
RCS are a good investment since they bred easily and you can sell them.

DIY glass tanks is popular in many countries and there are many "how to" Youtube videos on how to make various items.
Brand name equipment is to be avoided if at all possible, eg Seachem Flourish: buy a DIY trace element fertilizer like CMS+B or similar.
Small DIY filters can be made that are superior to the Canisters for 1/5th or less the price.

Local aquarium clubs are also excellent sources for trades, selling and buying extra items.
You have internet access, so that will bring many out of the woodwork to attend the meetings.

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
Insane amounts sometimes....all depends...

I had two canisters that decided to die on me and replacing the parts meant I was awfully close to just getting a new one. I had tubes that needed replacing and stuff so I tore them apart for whatever I could that would act as a spare and got new ones. They did last for quite some time too. I'd say a hundred and thirty to replace it.

Luckily, I buy dry powders now from Aquariumfertilizer.com so that makes it more affordable. The liquids are crazy expensive after a while. Either way, to save shipping, I order a bunch so it's a one a year purchase of a hundred dollars. Yipes.

I guess my most expensive fish would be my blue German Ram and my long finned rams. To get them, I ended up buying several from different places until I found a durable one. Luckily, the Blue Ram (after the deaths of several that just did not want to live) stayed alive and cost me $20 bucks. The long finned Ram is gorgeous and lived - he's like 30 bucks on special order. Unfortunately, his partner brought ich to my tank and died. So 50 bucks lived, thirty bucks died - not much I can do. Granted, that's the ones I bought recently.

Right now, I'm paranoid about losing fish. I've got some decent sized loaches who I know the pet store would sell easily for 40 to 60 bucks. I've grown them big! I had a Scat but realized my mistake when I discovered he ate plants like no tomorrow (lawnmower man style) AND he was tormenting a black ghost knife fish (whose passed away) and I gave him up. The pet store was super happy. She called him one really FAT Scat. I guess my fish are well fed. He was like five inches wide....BIG spines and gorgeous. I miss him but not his appetite. I never could grow Wisteria in the tank with him. I'd yank it out of my smaller one and give it to him like lettuce. :)

Monica

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
I know...insane amounts of cash for this hobby

It's a pain but you sometimes just have to spend the money to get what you want. I go back and forth about buying a chiller for my big tank. I can get it down to 80 or 82 degrees but that seems to be where the temperature stops. Sigh. I may try fans hooked to the side of the tank to create a cold breeze. I can get those for $10 bucks apiece. Either way, it's a bottomless hole which seems to take all my extra cash.