This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How many Kessils?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kevinmichael77, Dec 19, 2015.

1. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:28 PM
    My suggestion to the OP is to seek out people in their club or locally who actually have or had experience with the LED pendant in question and form his own opinions on the new plant growth results.

For those looking to add a cpuand or Wifi into the mix, the Apex controller systems have ports for Kessils and other LEDs. Wall timers still work.

2. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:28 AM
    The reason for the post was to gather information based on knowledge or experience. I would love to form my own opinion based on first hand experience, but this is a big expense and I can't afford to spend this kind of money on what ifs.

3. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The Kessil 160WE Tuna Sun was my favorite LED yet. Healthy Red Plants. I grew the mosses in the corners. Wish I did not sell it with the Mr30.

4. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Are they big enough for a 48x18x18 tank? I just want to make sure I'm getting proper coverage.

5. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I have 2 tuna sun 360's I plan on using shortly. I suppose I can slip in some red plants from other tanks and see how it does.

The new tank is going to be a shallow 24L x 18 deep x 8" high tank, mostly emergent plants. I may even allow it to run dry for part of the year, like a Vernal pool.

Been toying with this concept for awhile. The kessil pendent would do nicely for that.

7. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    I'd be interested to see how the red plants respond. My only dilemma is that I need to pick a light relatively soon. I don't have a full gameplan for the plants or scape at this point, but I'm sure it will involve some red plants. I love the look of the pendants and am torn between 3 a160's or a150's and a ATI 48" 6 lamp fixture.

It's a big expense for me being a student so I'm just stuck at this point. I've previously had bml fixtures but I didn't quite like the look asthetically.

Hmm..

Appreciate all the feedback though.

8. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Sorry to OP for derail, I just wanted to say you ripped my dream tank somewhat, my future goal was a 48"x{24"-18"}x{8-10"}. I do not like this...I want to show off first.

9. islanddave

islanddave Subscriber

Local Time:
    this is just a smaller version of the tuna sun. same problems arise.

10. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    You would think the fine people at Kessil would be all over this issue. There is certainly a demand and I can't imagine it would take much to switch out a few led's to cover the red spectrum.

Kessil?!

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Kessil listened and spoke with management. More than I can say for most companies, not that I blame them. They have to make $. But.........since it has tuning of the color spectra, what we like aesthetically..........shifting it from say 6500K down to 3000 K with more red and not as many yellows might be workable. You still hit most markets with a focus on planted tanks.

That's the trade off these lighting companies have to address.

Most folks in reefs, they toss and burn money at their tanks like nothing.

That's the bulk of the market.

12. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:

Mine is only 1/2 this size and will feature other species than your plan.

I would use a slightly deeper tank for your goal.

I would likely consider 2 of the Tuna sun 360 and then a pair of the magenta hort 360's. You can apply them for the growth......then use just the Tuna suns for picture sand viewing.

I've pondered that for awhile now, but aesthetics is king for me. It has to look good over the tank, look good in the tank, growth the plants well, even light spread and produce good colors.

That's a lot to ask for, but it is what I desire.

13. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    As LED lights, I'd suggest BML lights:

http://Http://www.buildmyled.com

They have full spectrum with blue, green, red and white LEDs. I grow red plants without any problems.

14. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    I'd like to throw another suggestion into the pot. I had BML for a few years now, great lights and nothing bad to say about them, but I recently switched to Aquatic Life Halo's which are very similar to your Kessil idea, but have a better color IMO. Two of them will do the job on your tank. They have a built in controller also, so you get one master and one slave unit.

2 people like this.
  15. IUnknown

IUnknown Lifetime Members

Local Time:
    bsantucci, how loud are the fans? Can you hear them?

16. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    It's in my living room, so over my daughter and tv I never notice. I'd compare it to a video game system. It's a white noise, so it just vanishes into the background.

When I first set them up, yes, I noticed it because I never had sound there, but after a day it wasn't anything to complain about.

17. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    Do you know what kind of par your getting?

What dimensions are your tank. It's beautiful btw!

Kev

18. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Kevin!

My tank is 36x18x18. 1 light almost covered my tank, but had some dark spots so I added the second. I'm confident 2 would cover your tank too. They come with a 110 or 80 degree lense you can change based on your tanks needs.

http://aquaticlife.lifetimeproducts....er%20Specs.pdf

The above link has the par charts for the light. They throw out some serious light. I run them only about 50% right now.

19. kevinmichael77

Local Time:
    They look pretty slick. I guess I hadn't even heard of these or seen them mentioned here. It appears as though they cover the red spectrum more than the Kessils. Is the deluxe only capable of controlling one slave?

20. bsantucci

bsantucci Member

Local Time:
    You can use an apex to control them and buy just slaves I believe. But yeah the deluxe controls the slave. Simple control too. Intensity knob and spectrum knob. And yep, has the red spectrum the kessils don't.

I've had them a week now and am very happy