How long does canister filter material last

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I am talking about the ceramic beads. I have some early Ehiem balls that some are slightly crumbly I am guessing they need replaced. Does this stuff ever clog there fore needing to be replaced?

kcharley

Junior Poster
Jan 21, 2009
My experience is limited as I just started a canister. Repeating what I have read elsewhere is that ceramic rings last a very long time, think life of filter. The holes in mine are so large I can't imagine them clogging.

If the plastic bio-balls are crumbling, I would replace them. (The LFS here sells them for .10 each.) I wouldn't expect a filter to be designed to pass plastic pieces. And if it did, it would put them in the tank.

HTH.

Greg

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I am not sure what these large pea like balls are made of some sort of ceramic. I the like I will replace the. I like the ones with the whole in them also. Wonder if there has been any write up on the differences with shapes and material.

Viper007

Junior Poster
Mar 6, 2009
From my understanding media's can last many years. Most lsf will recommend you to use for about 1 year and then change.:)

infopimp

Junior Poster
Jan 19, 2009
crystalview;34041 said:
I am not sure what these large pea like balls are made of some sort of ceramic. I the like I will replace the. I like the ones with the whole in them also. Wonder if there has been any write up on the differences with shapes and material.

The noodle ones are good for an earlier stage, as they make the water direction more random and spread out.

The pea sized ones are made of sintered glass and some have huge surface area inside... so these are good for the biological filtration medium (breaking down ammonia, etc)

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I've had mine for almost two years and I never really disturb them. When I do some small white pieces come off but I don't worry.

wkndracer

Junior Poster
Sep 27, 2008
Citrus County, Florida
Eheim products

The produsts I have used are Ehfisubstrat Pro, Eheim Ehfimech, Ehfisubstrate (2215)
All of the above have been fresh water rinsed in a colander basket as the filter was cleaned and then reused. Ehfisubstrat Pro tends to be damaged slightly as its disturbed by the water being sprayed through it and it grinds against itself but otherwise once the mum is removed its fine.