This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How is 50% water change accomplished?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bluedragon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bluedragon

bluedragon Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    6:50 PM
    In EI method it is recommended to do 50% water change weekly. How is that done?
    When i change my water I put the new water in one container and add AmQuel plus (to remove chlorine & chioramines etc)
    I let the water sit for all night in winter (because in winter the water is freezing cold) and few hours in summer.
    It will be hard to change 50% water with my method. Is there a better method for water change?

I am pretty sure this has been answered, I could not find the blog. I would really appriciate if point me to correct direction.

I live in rent so I am looking for way which does not include plumbing :)

Thank you
    Regards
    NN

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I have a 180 gal and also rent...........

1. Drain tank to desired level. I use a spare pump with hose attached and drop in tank. Place end of hose in sink or outside and let er rip..

2. Dose Prime or Amquel as required for the ENTIRE tank volume. To be safe.

3. Fill from TAP. I have another flex hose and fitting for quick connect to the kitchen. You need to ensure your tap has no major issues like copper, etc. Try and get a local water report.

It takes about 45 minutes to drain/fill 80% weekly on my tank. At the same time, I can clean, prune, maintain filters, etc.

Heavy EI dosing after each water change.

3. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry
    Thank you for your reply. Few questions.
    1) when you say "Dose Prime or Amquel as required for the ENTIRE tank volume. To be safe." are you saying add Amquel directly in the fish tank after draining the water to desired level and fill the tank with tap water?
    2) If that is correct then what about the drop in temperature? my tap water is 53 F in summer and almost freezing in winter. Should i not worry about that

Case:
    I keep my tank around 80 F
    and if i do 50% water change and add tap water directly (assuming my tap water temp is 40 F) then my delta in water temperature is 20 F. I will be going from 80 F to 60 F within few mins. Is that not a concern for fish? I understand fish are used to drop in temp in nature because of rain and etc but in my water change the temp will fall drastically.

Regards
    NN

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

1. Yes. Add the dechlorinator to the remaining tank water. As you add from the tap it will work better.

2. You should be concerned about a large temp drop. That will kill fish.... Can you use a 'warmer' water temp from the tap? Use hot and cold water? Or fill SLOWLY and use a larger submersible heater IN THE TANK to help level the temp diff?

Sorry, but I live in FL where water temp is not an issue......

Anyone in cold climates that can chime in here?

5. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is what I do.

• I use a Python for draining and refilling. http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html
    • After draining into the sink, I dose Prime for 100% of total tank volume.
    • I use tap water from the kitchen sink faucets with the cold and hot water mixed to be close to the same aquarium temperature for refilling.
    • Add ferts.

Maintenance is done in the middle of this cycle.

6. ibnozn

ibnozn Subscriber

Local Time:
    I use hot and cold out of the tap to get the right temp without any problems.
    Most hot water heater tanks are glass lined so I don't know how it could add contaminants.

7. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I use warmer water by mixing at the faucet. It does seem that water heaters could add some amounts of copper and reduced O2 levels from the heating process. However, mine has not had any issues that I could tell and 80-90 percent changes have had no ill effects on my breeding panda cories or the shrimp in that tank. I do have shrimp mortalities but no in the amano shrimp and the water changes seem to have no increased incidence. I.e. I don't find any correlation with a WC and any dead shrimp.

-
    S

8. bluedragon

Local Time:
    Thank you all, Did not know I could use warm water from tap, off to buy Python no spill. I will finally have lots of space under my fish tank after thorowing away my buckets :)

9. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Don't get rid of all your buckets. You can never know when you need some of them. :)

10. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Are you saying, you do an 80% partial water change weekly? By heavy EI dosing, how much/specific amount is heavy dosing?

11. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have space to keep a 120L (30gal) + 30L (8 gal) containers. I prepare RO water purely to which I a add MgSO4 and CaCl2. Water stays sometimes a week or 2 apart once prepared. No need to any additives

12. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Yes, that is what I am saying.... Sometimes I do 2 or 3 weekly if I am managing an issue or really looking to make things look extra good. Water changes are a good thing...

I dose the following 3x weekly:

2-3 tsp of potassium nitrate
    2+ tsp of momo potassium phosphate
    20-30 ml of trace TNG

I intermittently dose with Excel at water chage time. Only the water change dosage and never more than that.

When I do the water change, I up each dose by 15-25%.

Currently as I want things to grow in I am doing 2-3 80% WC, heavy dosing, ensure good c02, etc.

Over the next 3-6 weeks I will reduce this to 2x weekly than once weekly as usual..

#12 Gerryd, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010