This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

how does the quantity of filter material in a basket affect flow rate?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by papelboyl1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. papelboyl1

papelboyl1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:55 AM
    Would the flow rate be reduced if say I have a basketful of substrat/matrix (or any filter material that has an irregular shape and not inside a filter bag) compared to say half-basketful?

2. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    There are a lot of things that can restrict flow on a canister filter - length of the tubing, letting stuff build up in the tubing, inline equipment such as a hydor inline heater or CO2 reactor, adding more filter media will effect it as well. Even dirty impellers can slow things down. Anything in the path of the water flow that makes the trip longer to the tank or obstructs the path is going to slow the flow down. You can always supplement flow in the tank itself with a power head if you need it or go with a bigger filter. What are you trying to accomplish?

3. papelboyl1

papelboyl1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Im not talking about 2 canisters with different tube length/etc. im talking about a canister filled with a basketful of matrix and the Same canister with only half a basket. I guess my aim is mostly for my information if the reduced flowrate is significant.

4. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Try adding 1/2 a basket to the same filter and see how the flow is. If you don't like it you can always remove it.

5. Florin Ilia

Florin Ilia Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    And if you're wondering how to measure the flow, you can simply measure the time your filter outflow takes to fill a container of known volume. The larger the container the more accurate the result.

If it takes N seconds to fill a container of M liters, then your flow is
    M x 3600 / N l/h

Same formula if you prefer gallons instead of liters.