How do you make a nutrient rich substrate?

kevinmichael77

Guru Class Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Wisconsin
I typically use Aquasoil, but for my new tank im trying to go for a different look. I really like the look of the Ada Colorado substrate, but I really want a nutrient rich substrate. What is the best way to go about this. I know people use dirt, peat, mulm, Osmocote, etc. So I'm

interested to learn how to get the benefits of Aquasoil but using a sand such as the Colorado.

Appreciate the help as always!!!

Kev

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
Plain unscented,no additives cat litter (special kitty from Walmart), mixed with soil and peat is what I currently use and it is capped with Black diamond blasting media (tractor supply).

I mix soil 60 %

Peat 10%

Cat litter 40%

Getting ready to re-do the tank after 3 yrs, and plan to use plain top soil as bottom layer,sprinkle some osmocote on top of the soil,and cover it with product Safe-T-sorb (tractor supply).

kevinmichael77

Guru Class Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Wisconsin
1077 said:
Plain unscented,no additives cat litter (special kitty from Walmart), mixed with soil and peat is what I currently use and it is capped with Black diamond blasting media (tractor supply).

I mix soil 60 %

Peat 10%

Cat litter 40%

Getting ready to re-do the tank after 3 yrs, and plan to use plain top soil as bottom layer,sprinkle some osmocote on top of the soil,and cover it with product Safe-T-sorb (tractor supply).

I've read about mixtures like that which have good results, but I don't think I want to use dirt as I'm constantly shifting things around. I've read that if you uproot often that a dirted substrate can get messy.

This tank will have CO2 and ferts, but I'm just wondering how to get nutrients to the roots of the plants. Especially if I decide to do a carpet of some form.