This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How do you auto dose on vacation?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by fablau, Feb 26, 2011.

1. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:09 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I am using the EI approach and I am having great results in my planted tank.

My only concern is that in July I will have to leave for 2 weeks vacation and I have not idea how I could let the dosing go by itself... even because I am using liquid fertilizers from the Seachem line and I don't want to spend a fortune to buy liquid autodoser gears for each component I need to dose. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you in advance.

Fab.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:09 AM
    I add levels enough to last for a week. Then I have someone do it for me only once and it can go for another week. I put one weeks dosage in a bottle. My dad is a good autodoser. ;)

Maybe you have a familymember or a good friend that lives close.

regards,
    dutchy

3. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, actually that's a good idea... I could ask my neighbor... thank you, I didn't think about that! Any more ideas are very welcome. Thank you again.

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Worst case you can dose for the week and then skip it for the week. It won't be the best, but at least you won't be completely off.

How are you feeding the fish? Some of the autofeeders can do liquids as well.

-
    S

5. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I would cut down the lights to a low light level, also the co2 so it can be turned on at night. Than i would only dose a usual weekly dose.....

6. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I agree. To feed the fish I use an automatic feeder but can't do liquids. Thanks for the tip :)

7. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Do you mean turn "off" Co2 at night? I already do that... please, let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.

Fab.

8. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Sorry , i was not very clear in my explenation. What i ment is that this is what i do when i'm not home for a couple of days.
    I don't have a solenoid valve so i adjust co2 manualy every day. When i'm gone for a few days i lower the lights AND co2. The reason i lower the CO2 is because i usualy run it at max level and i shut it down at night, that is something i can't do whem not at home so i lower the co2 level a bitt and i let the co2 run 24/7.

9. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I understand... yes, I have a solenoid valve that turns off automatically at night, but to reduce CO2 rate is good, I didn't think about that :) Thanks!