This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

How about this product

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by kingkong, Dec 21, 2017.

1. kingkong

kingkong Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:18 AM
    Have used KeyPlex often on nursery plants. Amazing formula invented by a person in my area.
    Thinking about using it so here is the label. Any red flags please tell. I see warning label. KeyPlex-350-Label.jpg

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Note the CAUTION statement! Included in it is "Do not apply directly to water, ..." That would prevent me from even considering this for an aquarium. I do understand that Excel is also not the safest substance to play around with, but this caution statement suggests that this is even more hazardous.

3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:18 PM
    Check out the user safety recommendations.

“Remove clothing immediately if pesticide gets inside” That would make me not want to use this stuff.

4. kingkong

kingkong Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks, I will contact the designer of this product in hopes of finding out what the source of poison is. Could be just a blanket disclaimer to cover their butt.

5. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Have a look at the SDS.

Very common products found in most standard micro mixes. Couple of odd balls listed below which may or may not be of concern.

As for the label and all the safety concerns, pretty standard for the Ag industry, specially if the product is sold in California.

Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate - which looks like they are using as a source of Boron. Probably no different than Boric Acid, which is also used as a pesticide and insecticide.
    • Boric acid: Boric acid is toxic, it is a pesticide, it is an insecticide, and it can cause serious illness to pets and children if they ingest it. It is a common active ingredient in many pesticide bait formulations and in some dust formulations.
    In saying this there are a few people on here that are using Boric Acid in their micro mixes without issue.

Sodium Glucoheptonate - which they are using as chelating agent. The positives of this is it is actually biodegradable compared to EDTA.

To compare, here is the SDS for a very commonly used CSM+B mix used in our hobby, pretty much the same precautions listed.

I do not have experience with this actual product in our hobby. I have used very similar products in my field of work which is a Turf Manager (aka greenskeeper/superintendent in the golf industry). I am going to find a local distributor of this product, I am very interested in its use on turf. If I can get my hands on some I would have no issues give it a try in one of my tanks.

Allwissend, Greggz and Kyalgae like this.
  6. kingkong

kingkong Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am a landscape architect and also have a shade nursery. I have never seen palms turn so green using this product. Mr Butler, founder, has sold the business to another company. I will forward that contact info to you. Turf wow, no mistakes allowed here. No wonder you study the labels so close. All kinds of potential problems.
    Also look into N-Sure Urea (liquid). Mix that with your KeyPlex and your sod will turn so green you will not believe your eyes.
    Good Luck and thanks for the info!

slipfinger likes this.
  7. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yeah if you read the MSDS on just about any household product you would probably never use it........or maybe live in a bubble.

And a Turf Manager.......very interesting. Do you find many correlations that help you with a planted tank? And I like all things golf, so I think that is pretty cool.

8. kingkong

kingkong Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Also, be sure to check out Urea-Triazone N fertilizer (N-Sure) Slip if you haven't already. Very interesting stuff.

9. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info @kingkong. I will try contacting them in the new year.

@Greggz yes there are some correlations. The Botany side of things are very similar. Basically anything that photosynthesis, goes through the same growth processes and needs basically the same elements to achieve optimal health and growth, but when you add H2O into the equation things really change.

Greggz likes this.