This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

hours of dark

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by brad, Feb 1, 2006.

1. brad

brad Prolific Poster

I was wondering how dependant on dark periods plants are. I know they use 02 at night, but if the lights were left on, would this prevent them from doing so? All algae issues aside, are there any ill effects to leaving lights on 24 hours a day? If so, how do plants in the north cope when they get 24 hours of light at certain parts of the year?

Thanks

2. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Re: hours of dark

It is generally considered important that plants get a dark period. It isn't a rest period as such, but due to the absence of photosynthesis a modified chemical reaction occurs. I have read that the majority of plant growth occurs during lights out, although I have never observed this on a scientific basis.

Some plants physically start to close their leaves even before lights out in my tank. I've always assumed that this is a mechanism to reduce the light falling onto the leaves.(They are ready for bed :) )

In the main the plants we use in our tanks are tropical or semi tropical. These plants are used to roughly equal photo periods of light and dark.

Ian