This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hooked up the UV filter: Green cloudy water >>>> White cloudy water....normal?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by rich815, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:58 PM
    Two weeks ago I scooped out about 6-8 cups of my substrate from the front center of my 72 gal wanting to create a more sloping foreground. It worked, and looks great. Unfortunately, although I did a big water change after that it was apparently not enough, and I must have caused an ammonia spike because within a day or two I was hit with a big case of green water. I hooked up a small 9w UV filter I've had for a couple years but suspected the bulb might be a bit worn out. After 3-4 days of nothing but more green and more cloudiness I figured the ol' 9w UV bulb has had it. I went into a local Petsmart on the way home from work last night and they had the big 24w UV filters, similar to my 9w one (long, flat elongated bulb housing, small rectangle blue foam inlet, and small power filter attachment) but it was MUCH longer and bigger than the 9w one. I bought it and hooked it all up last night.

This morning the green is completely gone from the water to be replaced by a white, milky cloudiness. Is this normal? Should I run the UV filter a few more days? Will the white, milkiness go away with normal filtering (I have eheim 2026 and 2028 running). Anything I need to do now to get rid of the white cloudiness short of a diatom filter? Thanks.

2. Henry Hatch

Henry Hatch Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    When I have green water I run a uv for 5-7 days then do a 50% water change. The cloudy water I suspect is most likely a bacterial bloom. They usually resolve themselves in a week or so. In some cases a mild case of green water may actually not look green so I would continue running the UV for a few more days.

3. rich815

rich815 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks. White cloudiness as a bit better this morning already. Still no more green water, which is great. I did two 50% water changes this morning and continue to run the UV filter. Already looking almost crystal clear again....

Going to watch those substrate disturbances a bit better in the future and at least do some extra water changes next time I either move some substrate around or pull a lot of plants....