Hood design

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
I'm submitting the design for the new hood for my 90 gal for peer review. The design centers around a pair of the dual 55 watt retro kit fro AH Supply.

View attachment 1152View attachment 1153View attachment 1154

The ends were left off the renderings to allow me to view the clearances inside. The ends will be closed in the actual hood. I'll of course build two, from furniture grade plywood, painted or stained to match my stand. The four timers in the electrical design are for automated staging of the two CF lights, a string of blue LED 'moonlights' and the CO2 system.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Pat

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Just a test to verify a photo link. I want to keep a photo record of the project.

view

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Heat

Hi Patrick,

I think the design is solid. :)

I do not know where you are located, where I exist, heat is a problem, my advice is to change the fans so they can run independent of the lights. Use either thermostat or timer to continue fan after lights out.

My US .02. :gw

Good luck,
Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in Mobile, AL. AC is a must so I'm hoping the one fan and included vents (which aren't shown in the renderings) will be enough. I'll keep an eye on the water temp and add a thermostat if needed later.

Next on the todo list is the power distribution/timer board that will go under the tank.

Later,
Pat

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
OK,

I was going to go through this whole convoluted exercise in electrical wiring to try and save a few bucks, but then Marion at the Daphne, AL Home Depot steered me to this item in the clearance area...

062.jpg

Saving me $34 and allowing this....

064.jpg

About an hour of real labor and the project was done and installed in the tank's stand...

066.jpg

Looks like I'll be putting the kit from AHS on order a little earlier than expected.

More later,
Pat

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
I know I'll be drummed out of the DIY's Union, BUT...

I just can't pass on the Catalina 4x54w T5HO Silver @ $179.99 ($224 & change ... with blue Moonlights instaled ... with feet ... shipped) that's less than $10 more than the AHS 4x54w kit with lights ... no moonlights... still had to build the enclosures. No contest. Yeah I know the reflectors and bulbs were better, but from what I've read ... more than what was needed.

Therefore this project is officially complete.

On to tank setup.:cool:

Later,
Pat

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Two-Week Suspension!

pat w;46093 said:
I just can't pass on the Catalina 4x54w T5HO Silver @ $179.99 ($224 & change ... with blue Moonlights instaled ... with feet ... shipped) that's less than $10 more than the AHS 4x54w kit with lights ... no moonlights... still had to build the enclosures. No contest. Yeah I know the reflectors and bulbs were better, but from what I've read ... more than what was needed.

Therefore this project is officially complete.

On to tank setup.:cool:

Later,
Pat

Hi Pat,

Well maybe not drummed out, but a two-week suspension for sure... :D

Do it yourself types fall into two broad groups, those of us who are cheap and those that just want to do it themselves.

Me, I am with you if I find a finished product for around what it would cost me to build it, I buy it, period!

I also figure my time is worth something, being more or less retired means I have more 'fiddle' time, than before, but still...

Therefore, to the 'purists' it may be a sacrilege to me it is smart. :cool:

Biollante

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
pat w;46037 said:
OK,

I was going to go through this whole convoluted exercise in electrical wiring to try and save a few bucks, but then Marion at the Daphne, AL Home Depot steered me to this item in the clearance area...

062.jpg

Yep, Home Depot has all their Intermatic timers on clearance. They stock GE timers now. I waited too long and missed out on the digital heavy duty timers, but I did 2 of these:

View attachment 1235
:cool:

DSC00726.jpg