kh: 5
gh: 7
NO3: 20
PO4: 2
Fe: 0.05

temp: 25ºc

Filtration: 300l/h

CO2 pressurized 1b every 2s (venturi reactor) about 25/30ppm

every thing seem ok but now i have holes in the young leaf on my anubia and tenellus all the other pants are fine.

photo anubias:
leaf.jpg

and the tenellus:
leaf2.jpg

any idea ;) what are the micro or macro that are missing

thanks,
Victor Pinto

misha

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2007
el_tubaron;35046 said:
Hello,

beford the my question, there is the setup:

The Cube

Dim: Cube with 46cm x 46cm x 46cm (96L)
ligth: HQI 70w 5200K
substrate: Fourite

there is a photo.
thecube1.jpg

the parameters of the water are:

ph: 6.6
kh: 5
gh: 7
NO3: 20
PO4: 2
Fe: 0.05

temp: 25ºc

Filtration: 300l/h

CO2 pressurized 1b every 2s (venturi reactor) about 25/30ppm

every thing seem ok but now i have holes in the young leaf on my anubia and tenellus all the other pants are fine.

photo anubias:
leaf.jpg

and the tenellus:
leaf2.jpg

any idea ;) what are the micro or macro that are missing

thanks,
Victor Pinto

Looks like nothing is missing,but someone does a good job eating your plants, it may be hungry fish or invertebrate. I thing you already suspect someone.What king of fish you keep in this tank?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I don't think you have nearly enough CO2 in the water. Based on the bubble rate I use I think you need about twice the bubble rate you are using. You can't use the KH/pH readings to figure out how much CO2 you have in the water, because that method requires that nothing in the water affect the pH except the CO2 and carbonates. But, most of us, including you, based on the wood in your tank, have other substances in the water that affect pH.

You can use a drop checker, with 4 dKH distilled water in it, with a couple of drops of bromothymol blue pH reagent in it, to help you get close to the right amount of CO2. Then you can slowly increase the bubble rate a little bit each day, while watching the fish for obvious distress, and watching the plants for good pearling.

If you are using test kits to tell you how much fertilizing to do, be sure to calibrate them first. One easy way, with enough accuracy to be usable, is: Calibrating Test Kits - for non-Chemists

el_tubaron

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2008
Porto, Portugal
Hi

nickmcmechan: well, this snails are in the aqua from the first day, maybe they dont have food enouf

VaughnH: my calculation of the CO2 are wicth the CAL ORACLE drop Checker you can see it in the first photo. but do you thing the CO2 are the causes of the holes ?
Cumps
Victor Pinto

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Tom has discovered that the CO2 concentration can vary widely around the tank, even with pretty good water circulation in the tank. So, the drop checker can be green and the average tank water still be low in CO2. If you try slowly increasing the bubble rate you can eliminate this as a possible problem. How do you maintain good water circulation in the tank?