This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

HO T5 question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by reiverix, Apr 19, 2006.

1. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I have a chance to get a 6*54w HO T5 light setup. It's the Tek Systems one with each bulb on its own reflector. Anyone have experience with T5s compared to PCs?

My tank is a 75g with 4*65 PC and 40w NO fluorescent. I've heard they run a lot cooler which is one of the main issues here.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: HO T5 question

This will give you more light and more even lighting.

I've seen some decent tanks(ADA type quality) with 2 x 54 w on a 75 gal tank that looked very nice.

So it's more than enough to grow anything you'd ever want.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Well, I installed the lights and I am more than happy. Better tank coverage and it's just so bright. I've never seen so much pearling. I thought my tank would start floating into the air :)

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Yes, most folks are ahppy with T5's

Regards
    Tom Barr

5. shugato

shugato Junior Poster

dear tom
    i am also trying to get T5 HO lights. can you suggest a good brand and what K would be ideal for plants ,or may be we need to mix 6500k with 8000k .
    thanks in advance
    shugato

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

I've seen quite a few brands, make sure you get the electronic ballast, I've seen some cheapy ones that were not. We have some local brands that run fairly cheap, about 199$ complete for 2x54w 299$ fior 4 x 54 retail, you proably can find them cheaper, I still use PC lights or HQI but will upgrade later to HQI and T5.

Regards,
    Tom Barr