This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

High, Medium, or low?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Eudmin, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Eudmin

Eudmin Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:13 PM
    I have a 20gal high tank with an AH Supply reflector and 55W T5 Compact bulb at 6700k about 5 inches from the surface of the water. Substrate is 2.5" deep. What do you folks think my light level will be at the substrate? Enough to grow Glossostigma and HC?

I'm asking because the glosso that I planted is getting kinda tall and seems to be reaching, even though I kind of figured I'd be in the upper-medium or high levels of supplied light. I'm injecting CO2, dosing with macros and micros via EI method. The stem plants and stuff seem really happy and I swear I can almost watch them growing, but the glosso seems like it's getting tall and the HC isn't doing much.

Would it help if I moved that light down a bit?

Thanks.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    high light.

How do you get a 55 watt T5 over a 20 gallon? is 50% of the bulb hanging over the sides? I could grow glosso just fine in the same sized tank with one or two 24 watt T5's a few inches over the water.

could be CO2, or your HC may have been grown emersed and is putting down roots before growing. Try trimming the glosso on the vertical stems to see if it will grow out along the substrate.

3. Eudmin

Eudmin Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, ShadowMac.

It's a power compact T5, so it's kind of like a full 4 foot length T5 sawed off in the middle and then joined together with a little stub. Total length is 22 inches or so with sort of 2 bulbs. There are pics at www.ahsupply.com that show them.

I'll try trimming the glosso and see what happens. It's about 3 inches tall now. I wasn't injecting CO2 initially or feeding many ferts and in the couple of weeks that it took me to get my system together I grew a pretty impressive algae explosion. Walls, driftwood, HC, everything is covered with a fine green hair. Now that I'm putting in CO2 and using the EI to dose regularly the plants are really going crazy and the new growth doesn't have algae on it, so I think I'm starting to get it right. Eventually the shrimp and oto's and some scraping will get rid of that algae, I think.