This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

High KH and Discus

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by imatrout, Sep 18, 2005.

1. imatrout

imatrout Prolific Poster

I have just started to raise Discus and am learning a lot about them My tank has pressurized CO2, but my KH is high (10.5) I want to give the discus a PH environment of 6.5, but doing that with my KH induces way too much CO2. My question is: Is there any non-phosphate way (additive) of lowering my KH without resorting to RO water? Ideally I'd like to get my KH down to 6-7.

Thanks all.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: High KH and Discus

RO is the easiest method to reduce KH.
    I'd shoot for 4-5KH or so.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Spar

Spar Guru Class Expert

Re: High KH and Discus

peat moss in your filter will help out the lowering of pH significantly. there isn't an exact science to the quantity needed, but just start low and keep adding as necessary.

it will also give some tanics to the water which will help the Discus feel at home better too. win/win.

There is a local breeder here in Dallas (actually Fort Worth I think) that breeds discus successfully in high GH and KH water. 8.2 pH. So not sure how necessary the lowering of pH is in the big picture. You will want RO water for the eggs and fry anyway, so may be worth investing in a RO unit.