This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

High Gh And Kh ?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by yusuf saraç, Apr 14, 2018.

1. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    10:52 AM
    Do you guys think my GH and KH is too high ? I believe they are. If so what do you recommend to make it optimum

20180414_234823.jpg

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    This would depend on what plants you are growing?

Lower by mixing with RODI or all RODI re-mineralized to your liking with GH booster etc...

What does your tap water look like?

3. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    I measured my top water and it looked okay to me. I attahhed the picture of top water numbers. I'm injecting diy co2 and diy ferts. One thing that I'm using Magnesium nitrate - Mg(NO3)2 as my nitrate source. Does it have a chance to increase the gh and kh levels becouse of having Mg in it ?

20180415_114450.jpg

4. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    Mg will add to GH.
    If you only top off the tank and add ferts this can accumulate very quickly.
    How frequent do you change water?

5. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    I fill the top every week. And other week I make 40% water change. So Water changes are every 2 weeks.

6. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    The large increase in GH is because of Mg added as @Phishless suggested. Topping up with tap contributes to both GH and KH, and is likely the main reason for the increase in KH.
    If you cannot use KNO3, try and combine Ca(NO3)2 with Mg(NO3)2 and use only Reverse Osmosis water for your water changes. If this does not work, urea would be a last resort type of thing. Just ask before starting to dose it.

7. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the answers guys. It seems that will solve the gh - kh problem. So what I want to know is what happens when I have this high amount of GH and KH ? My plants are not doing good. I have always some old leaves turning yellow and melting. (s repens, pogostemon helferi and even micra) And I'm adding little no3 ( as Mg(NO3)2 ) but 2,3 days later no3 levels seem to be the same. Looks like my plants don't taking it as much. I dont have any other important no3 source / live stock.

So does it can be because of the high GH - KH levels ? and what is the optimum gh - kh levels for high-tech planted tank ?